- Last updated on January 20, 2011 at 1:28 am
- 2 comments
When it came to Jason and my STDs I knew I wanted to do something so over the top quirky and us that people would open them up and be like, well damn, that is SO them!
I can't remember where I first saw it but I came across a couple's wedding invitation that were printed on long skinny posters and basically it was the story of their seven year relationship and how much of a whirlwind it was over the years. Not only was it funny and a little silly, but it was also a brilliant piece of typography. When I saw them I knew THAT was what I wanted to do, so I set out to make a fun little story of us.
This is what I came up with:
Originally I was going to get some shiny white/off white mid-weight paper to print them on but after some drama finding it I wound up with 400 11x17 sheets of the Astrobright Glisten and figured I might as well use what I had on hand instead of buying more.
Here they are, in all their majesty!
They were mailed in 5.5"x5.5" Astrobright Celestial Blue envelopes.
I designed and printed mailing labels on adhesive paper, mimicking the dotted washi design.
Our return address is on the back.
- Paper - As I mentioned before, it was difficult to track this paper down. I really really wanted the Astrobright Glisten paper that matched the blue dotted washi paper I had my heart set on using for details. Because the paper was discontinued I had to buy a whole case of it which was 400 sheets. Each sheet came out to about $0.50 and I made two STDs on each sheet. I believe I made 84 STDs, so I used 42 sheets. Grand Total = $21.
- Envelopes - I purchased these envelopes from envelopemall.com. I have always found envelopemall to be easy to work with and I go to them to purchase samples often. These envelopes specifically came to about $0.11 a piece (when you add in shipping and taxes). I used 82. Grand Total = $9.02.
- Labels - I purchased Astrobrights Print & Stick Adhesive paper. It came in a pack of 30 for $10.85 from amazon.com which comes to about $0.36 per sheet. I used 14 sheets for the labels. Grand Total = $5.06.
- Postage - Since they were square and slightly heavy, postage was $0.64. I guess what I saved on not buying any additional paper I paid for in postage. Grand Total = $52.48.
- Printing & Cutting - Was free. I was able to print the STDs at work and a family friend who works at Kinkos cut them down to size for me because he's awesome. Grand Total = $0.
STD Grand Total
Including postage: $87.56
Individual price: $1.07 ...Not bad!
Not including postage: $35.08 ...man, if only I could have hand delivered all of them! They would have only cost $0.43 a piece!
I've already gotten a few phone calls from family members and txt messages from friends saying how much they loved our STDs. I can't tell you how satisfying it is to hear that when I worked so hard on making them special.
Now we get down and dirty and start making invitations!