- Last updated on February 13, 2011 at 3:26 am
- 2 comments
I love me some arts and crafts!
Lace Pocketfold Invitations
I designed the invitation suite just using Mac Pages software. I downloaded the borders, flourishes, bird images, and font from www.dafont.com For the cardstock, envelopes, and pockets I ordered from www.cardsandpockets.com while they were having their annual sale. They would have been $7 more per invite if I had them made by a pro.
Every table will have a different style of birdcage. The tall CPs with have silk cherry blossoms and curly willow. The low CPs will have a cage with a candle inside.
This is definitely my MIL's doing, but she did a phenomenal job. She used lace remnants from my mother's wedding dress and her own wedding dress along with some blue/green ribbon to match my colors. It was also my little something blue. I'm keeping it to pass down to my future daughter (God willing) one day.
My bouquet and wrap
I bought all of the silks at an after season floral sale at Garden Ridge. The blue hydrangea that matched my colors was a little harder to find, so I bought those at Michaels. For the wrap, I simply hot glued a strand of costume jewelry pearls to handle and finished the top with a costume cameo brooch.
This was the most fun DIY project! I love how they turned out. I found the wine glasses for $1.25 each at Steinmart. For a tutorial on how to make they, click HERE.
I bought my BMs' hoodies for $10 each at Old Navy while they were on sale. Instead of putting "Bridesmaid" on them, I chose to do the girls' initials so they could wear them again. I bought iron-on letters from www.threadart.com
I hadn't planned on doing programs until a month or two before the wedding, so I didn't put as much effort into them. But I think they turned out really well considering how little time they took. I bought the kit from Michael's.
I wanted some nice quality table runners, but I couldn't find any in my price range. Instead of buying/renting them, my mother and I went to a local fabric store and chose a drapery fabric that had my color scheme. We measured and cut them into strips and had them serged. Voila! Table runners. And the fabric was only $4.00 per yard.
Lace-wrapped votive holders
I bought clear votives from www.candles4less.com and found bulk lace on ebay. My mother and I cut the lace into 1.5 inch widths, wrapped it around each votive, cut to size, and glued with a hot glue gun. It was pretty easy and I love the final result.
Decoupage table numbers
I bought my table number frames used from Bridezilla101610. Checking those classifieds pays off! I found old vintage sheet music on ebay as well as Audubon bird prints on bookmarks on ebay. I cut the sheet music to fit the frame, cut out each individual Audubon print, typed each table name with the same font I used on my invitation suite on left over invitation cardstock, and glued them into the sheet music.
Photo Sharing Cards
Okay so this hardly counts as DIY, but it's a nice tip. I wanted to set up a photosharing website that wouldn't diminish the resolution of my guests' photos from the wedding day, so we used www.theweddinglens.com. It organizes the photos for you into categories and everything! I designed a simple little business card on www.vistaprint.com to give my guests the website login and password to post them. Here are the cards I made:
A Wee Little Irish Blessing
Robert's family is Irish, and they are definitely proud of their heritage. I thought it would be nice to have a little Irish blessing at each guest's seat as a way to say thank you. The best part is, the blessing includes our two main colors, blue and green. The blessing says, "May green be the grass you walk on. May blue be the skies above you. May pure be the joys that surround you. May true be the hearts that love you. Until we meet again, may God hold you in the hollow of his hand. Thank you for sharing in our marriage celebration. Love, Robert and Lauren"
Bride and BM Dress Hangers
This was another pretty last minute project, but it was super easy. I bought wooden hangers from TJMaxx for really cheap, and I attached some stationary letters and rhinestones from Walmart with a little craft glue. Voila!
This thing was QUITE a DIY task, but it was well worth it. Robert and I walked down his parents' nature trail and cut down a birch tree with buds. While it was still green and pliant, we bent it into the shape we wanted and secured it with fishing line. Later with my parents and his parents helping, we wrapped grapevine around the birch branches and secured it with florist wire to give it more of a wild, unmanicured look. Using hot glue gun (love that thing!) and florist wire, we attached silk blossom branches and real-touch flowers.