Advice From July 09 Brides!
I saw this done on another forum last year, and being so excited for all of you I decided to come over here and do the same!
July 09 Brides - Please post your advice for July 2010 brides in this thread!
My advice to you is this:
- In these last few weeks of planning, keep in mind that your friends and family still have lives outside of your wedding! Don't make them stay up until midnight tying ribbons on stuff two nights before the wedding unless they want to be there.
- If it's not done by 7 days before your wedding, DON'T DO IT. Waste of time. You need to be relaxing and enjoying this special week!
- Some things will be forgotten/not used/used more than you thought, etc. Don't sweat it.
- Don't daydream about the big day. It's going to be everything you imagine and more, and you don't want to ruin the surprise :)
- Love love love love LOVE on everybody! Many people have traveled far to come to your wedding, make sure they know you appreciate it. Some of my favorite memories of our wedding week were being with friends and family in the days leading up to the wedding.
- Don't sweat the weather! ! ! You can't change it, and you will WASTE your experience as a bride stressing over it. Every second from now to your wedding night is irreplaceable. . .a little rain will NOT ruin your day, only your attitude about it will. On a brighter note, overcast skies are MUCH better for photography :)
- Drink lots of water and eat healthy foods! ! ! If you starve yourself, or are dehydrated, it WILL SHOW. Your skin will be ashy and your eyes gaunt. If you aren't at your 'goal' wedding weight, embrace your body now and stop dieting. . .just work on toning up.
- Read all of your vendor contracts one last time! Make sure you know what to expect, so that when something you thought was going to happen (a champagne toast, free cake cutting, whatever) doesn't, you won't be surprised.
- Don't pester your vendors to insanity. They are pros. Let them do their job :)
- Be EXTRA lovey with your Fiance. After all, this is YOUR week as a couple! ! ! You are in this TOGETHER. As much as they say the wedding is about the bride, it's really about the two of you :)
- STOP STRESSING! Again. Waste of time.
- You can't control your guests/bridal party/mother/FMIL. . .just smile and nod and let the joke be on them if they are acting ridiculous. I guarantee, that no matter what you think, odds are they will behave themselves on the day of the wedding :)
And on the wedding day. . .
- Take time alone to look into a mirror and take in the fact that it's your day and you are a bride. . .it's a special time, and it's something you will never forget.
- When you think things are going by too fast. . .close your eyes and breath. . .open them, look around, and tell yourself to remember everything you see.
- You will look at your photos for weeks afterwards and say 'OMG, I totally don't remember that. . . .'
- Stand up STRAIGHT and smile! You'll be in loads of photos
- Your dress WILL get dirty. Let it. WEAR the dress, and wear it well :)
- If you are wearing a crinoline, tie it SNUG! Mine was falling down all night and because I was buttoned into my gown it was virtually impossible to fix.
- In the dressing room, allow yourself to cry! Makeup can be fixed. . . .
- Try and eat, or at least drink water before the ceremony. I was too nauseous/nervous to eat. . .and after the ceremony when the pressure was off I was RAVENOUS. LOL! Nobody wants to see a bride stuffing meatballs into her face. . .
- Don't cut the cake until after dinner! You paid a lot of money for it, once you cut it it's gone and no longer part of the reception decor. People want to see it. . . .
- Hold your flowers for as much of the day as you can! Not only are they gorgeous in your couples photos, but OMG they are amazing, and so bridal, and you'll never see them so beautiful again. They wilt fast . . ! On our 2 hour drive home the day after our wedding, I held my bouquet and just smelled it the whole time because it smelled so good and was so heavy and just gorgeous. . .enjoy that.
- HAVE FUN
After the Wedding
- The first year FLIES by. I can't believe it's almost our first anniversary!
- Enjoy being newlyweds, it's a special time and again. . .every second that goes by is gone forever.
- If you freeze your cake topper, use a Food Saver (vacuum pack system). I hear it's the only way to do it properly. . .ours is vacuum packed twice, and wrapped in more plastic. We'll see how it turns out, lol!
- Do your album within 6-9 months! If you wait, you'll lose your motivation to get it done. I LOVE our album, it's very very special to me.
- If you are ready for kids, and DH is on the fence, be patient. . .he'll come around ;). Not only that, children change EVERYTHING. Enjoy being husband and wife.
- Do something special for each other every day.
Congrats ladies! I'll be thinking of you in July :)
Posted on June 10, 2010 at 11:03 am