Alfred Angelo 2020

I bought this dress for my wedding, and I now hate it. I feel like I really got talked into it because of the fact that it was a good deal. However, I felt immediate remorse as soon as I purchased it, and knew I shouldn't have but it was too late. Now, my wedding is just a few months away, and I don't have the time or money to buy a new dress. I am taking it in to get altered, mostly to tack down the top piece to look like the skirt is one piece. My least favorite part of this dress is the top layer of the skirt, because to me it looks like it was a short dress that someone made into a long dress, and something about it looks old fashioned. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has had this same dress and made alterations to it, or if anyone has some creative suggestions? I was thinking of adding straps to it, maybe making it have more of a sweetheart neckline? Pictures would be appreciated!! Also, any suggestions for jewelry with this dress? I need help! Thanks! :)

Posted on January 31, 2013 at 6:03 am
BlushingBride2013
05/18/2013
Followers
Following

(12) Comments

MrsCaleYoung
06/30/2012
MrsCaleYoung

MrsCaleYoung

Followers
Following

MrsCaleYoung

Hello dearest and Welcome to Project Wedding! I had no idea what this dress looked like so I googled it. I am so sorry you are unhappy with your dress choice. If you made it have a sweetheart neckline, would that make you like it more? I did not purchase this dress nor do I know anyone that has, but I am sure there is someone that can offer some suggestions for you! Have you tried taking it to a seamstress to have it altered? I had to have some work done on my dress and I am super short and it only cost me 75.00. Here is a picture of the dress for anyone who can offer this bride suggestions.

Hello dearest and Welcome photo 3447259-1www.boards.weddingbee.com

Posted on January 31, 2013 at 6:11 am
BlushingBride2013
05/18/2013
Followers
Following

BlushingBride2013

Thank you so much for posting the picture! I was still trying to figure out how to do that...you beat me to it! :) Thanks for your response...I am taking it in to a seamstress, but I was wondering if anyone could offer any neat suggestions that I could talk to her about while I was there. Besides tacking down the skirt and adding straps, it seems like it is going to look pretty much the same as the dress I bought and I am so worried that I still won't like it. Oh, I forgot to mention that my sash is ivory, and so is my dress. Also, the back of the dress is kinda neat with the two layers, so I am wondering if there is a way to sort of keep it that way in the back, while changing it in the front...or if there would be a cool way to bunch it or change the back without making my butt look huge with too many layers. So much to think about... :/ All I do is think about this wedding and the stress is really getting to me!!

Posted on January 31, 2013 at 6:17 am
MrsCaleYoung
06/30/2012
MrsCaleYoung

MrsCaleYoung

Followers
Following

MrsCaleYoung

You are so welcome! That's what I am here for! Yes I saw the back of this dress and it is gorgeous!!!! Glad you found a seamstress that you are taking it too and I am sure someone will offer you some suggestions! Wedding planning can be very stressful, I remember those days well, lol, but it will all be worth it when your special day comes. On the days that seem your stress is at it's limit, step away from wedding planning for a day or two and come back to it refreshed. I am very excited you found this website and I can't wait to see your vision form!

Posted on January 31, 2013 at 6:27 am
Uhlease
09/02/2012
Uhlease

Uhlease

Followers
Following

Uhlease

Hello! I hope your seamstress can help you out!! I don't really know much about it...but here are a couple suggestions from what I can see. (not sure if they will work or not, I haven't sewed a thing in my life! lol)

Can the seamstress "sew down" the top layer of the dress so it looks more a-line rather than layered? Basically connecting the top and bottom layer making one?

Another thought...not sure how the sash is attached, but maybe making the sash go straight across under the bust and turning the neckline into sweetheart? That would be pretty!! Thicker sash as well?

I think your dress is really pretty but I hope you can make it how you want it! GL!

Posted on January 31, 2013 at 6:59 am
BlushingBride2013
05/18/2013
Followers
Following

BlushingBride2013

Thank you both!! :) Wow, it's really nice to have this community...I feel like I am driving everyone crazy in my life with all the "wedding talk" and such (and sometimes going a little crazy myself)...I wonder what it will be like as it gets closer... :/

I am actually going to try to have her make sew it to make it look like one layer, rather than two. I am worried that she will have to do a lot of cutting or something to the edges of the top layer to get rid of the scalloped edges though, so I really hope it's something she can pull off! The sash that is on now is actually going to get changed out to an ivory one, so maybe I can make it thicker or add something with more bling, etc and that will change it up a lot. Or I could get rid of the sash altogether if there is something else I could do to make it better?

Posted on January 31, 2013 at 8:37 am
Sammy_D
09/10/2011
Sammy_D

Sammy_D

Followers
Following

Sammy_D

This was almost my dress! I ended up with a different AA but I had looked at making it into a sweetheart neckline and making the sash the same color as my BM dresses. It does have a vintage feel to it, but adding a crinoline to give it a bit more shape at the bottom makes the layers look neater. It's an absolutely stunning dress IMO, but you have to be happy and confident in your choice. I think a large statement necklace with other minimal jewelry would be gorgeous.
Posted on January 31, 2013 at 1:06 pm
Santosha
06/16/2012
Santosha

Santosha

Followers
Following

Santosha

Piping in a bit late, but I think the dress is beautiful as is!!!  No lie.  BUT like SDonisi said, all that matters is that you are in love with your dress!  I was going to suggest adding a crinoline as well and that maybe that would make the top tier of the skirt lie more flat on the second and bottom tier of the skirt?!  If you're intent on sewing down the top tier of the skirt to the second tier, I'd probably leave the scalloped edge - I think it'll look pretty if left with the edging as an extra detail!  :)

And I agree with you - adding some sparkle to the sash would definitely pump up the wow.  I'd play around with cinching the bust in the middle for a more sweetheart neckline, but I'd definitely leave it strapless.  Just a suggestion!  :)

Good luck and don't worry - we're all here to listen and support, so keep us posted on how it goes!!  

Posted on January 31, 2013 at 4:13 pm
Siouxzan
11/10/2012
Siouxzan

Siouxzan

Followers
Following

Siouxzan

Can't really see the back but I think I see what you mean about the front.  It looks to me like you can take that top "layer" off and you might be happier with the way the skirt looks.  You could probably use that fabric to make the straps that you want.  Or something like what I had done...

Can t really see photo 3447595-1

Posted on February 1, 2013 at 4:18 pm
BlushingBride2013
05/18/2013
Followers
Following

BlushingBride2013

Thank you all for your responses! I actually took the dress in, and because the top layer doesn't just lay flat on the bottom, it looks like the seamstress is going to have to take the whole bottom of the dress apart to make some cuts, etc, so it will lay flat. I also had her take off the sash which was purple and I was going to have her change it to ivory. However, when she took it off it instantly made the dress look MUCH more modern to me and I loved it!!! So, she is going to put some of the appliques she is cutting off up where the sash was so it is not just an empty spot. She is also going to make straps out of this fabric, shorten it about an inch or two to fit with my shoes, and then add small cups to add a little cleavage, on top of making the shirt into one piece...all of this for $320! I know it's a lot, but she has been working for Alfred Angelo for many years now and I think it will turn out great...cross your fingers!

Posted on February 7, 2013 at 4:44 am
Uhlease
09/02/2012
Uhlease

Uhlease

Followers
Following

Uhlease

Wow! That sounds great! And all of that for $320!??! That's awesome, I spent the same for a stupid hem and cups!

Posted on February 7, 2013 at 5:16 am
BlushingBride2013
05/18/2013
Followers
Following

BlushingBride2013

Wow, really??? I was feeling bummed because I got my dress for such a great deal ($490 instead of $1,100) and wasn't aniticipating the alterations to be so much!! Well, I guess I feel better if someone else sees this as a great deal!!! The most important thing is that I will actually like my dress and not regret buying it on my wedding day...as long as that happens, that's all that matters to me! :)

Posted on February 7, 2013 at 6:00 am
DansMrs
06/23/2012
DansMrs

DansMrs

Followers
Following

DansMrs

Wow that seems like a lot of work for not that much money! I'm glad you are getting changes made so that you love this dress - which is a beautiful dress! Can't wait to see the finished product on you! 

Posted on February 7, 2013 at 7:46 am

Have a question? Contact Support
Top Contributors this Week
LauraSweet
79 posts
Canooknic
70 posts
lorna247
46 posts
jmbuss9
41 posts
krosa