To ensure your skin looks smooth and perfect for your big day, read these five skin myths that you need to know about.
Have you ever wondered whether eco-friendly products truly work? They do! Staying away from parabens and petrochemicals is one of the best ways to ensure that your skin looks fresh and glowy for your wedding day. No one knows more about all-natural skin care than Burt’s Bees, so we asked their experts to shed some light on some of the most popular myths out there and how to deal:
Myth: The more water you drink, the better your skin will look.
• Water intake does help the cells of your skin stay hydrated
• An overabundance of water will cause the body to flush out too quickly
• Studies show people who drink too much water do not allow for proper nutrition absorption
• Drink an acceptable amount of water during the day—your body will tell you when enough is enough
Solution: Moisturize from the outside in. The more nutrients, the better. Stay away from petrochemicals and silicone.
Myth: Pores can shrink.
• The size of your pores stays constant and cannot be changed
• The appearance, however, can change
• Clogged pores appear to be larger because they become opaque and can stretch
• Cleaned pores are more translucent and can appear smaller
Solution: Cleanse with a facial toner, gentle cleansers and gentle exfoliants. Steam is an excellent precursor to facial treatments.
Myth: Lip skin is the same as facial skin.
• Lip skin is much thinner than facial skin with three to five layers as opposed to 16 layers
• Lip skin does not have sebaceous glands or sweat glands
• Lip skin has weak barrier function
• Lip skin does not have a protective lipid layer, which keeps the skin smooth and inhibits pathogens
• Lips dry out faster and become chapped more easily
Solution: Non-Petroleum lip care with nutrient-rich moisturizers. Apply often, especially before bed.
Myth: Facial exercises strengthen and tone facial muscles to reduce wrinkles.
• Wrinkles occur where skins cells are squeezed millions of times by facial expressions (smiling, laughing, squinting, frowning)
• As skin loses firmness with age, wrinkles form in these areas
• Rubbing your eyes or face or applying skin-care products in a certain direction will not cause wrinkles or help to firm skin
• Sleeping on one side of your face every night could cause wrinkles
Solution: Use products focused on free-radical repair and moisturizing with nutrient-rich ingredients.
Myth: Skin repairs itself only at night.
• Skin repairs itself all-day long
• At night the body is more at rest and not exposed to environmental stresses, so it can focus on healing
• A night cream is good as long as it does not stress your skin
• Moisturizing before bed is beneficial
Solution: Night Cream focused on free-radical repair and moisturizing with nutrient-rich ingredients. Stay away from mineral oil, petroleum and silicones that may clog pores and not allow the skin to breathe.