Monthly Update: October 2012

We are starting an update thread for our little group. Unlike some of our other groups, we are going to make this a monthly one since some things around the home do take a wee bit longer than a week. 

I am looking forward to hearing all about what is going on with you ladies and your beautiful homes!

Posted on October 19, 2012 at 5:31 am
beccabride
10/10/2010
beccabride

beccabride

Followers
Following

(10) Comments

Canooknic
07/19/2013
Canooknic

Canooknic

Followers
Following

Canooknic

Ok! We moved into our home at the end of July.

Since then I have:-
* Decorated our boy's bedrooms (1 dinosaur, 1 Lego)
* Almost finished our main floor washroom, I'm still looking for a frame for our mirror.
* Made fabric roller blinds for our upstairs living room
I've also spent a lot of time shouting at our builder to get the painting completed outside - finally its done!

This month I have painted our bedroom, but I'm still looking for curtains before I can finish it!! Very frustrating!

Now my to-do list is:-
* Find bedroom curtains
* Make window coverings for main floor
* Order a 3-piece canvas for our main floor living room
* Stain our deck (not til Spring now, it's snowing tomorrow)
* Finish our basement so we have a 4th bedroom, another living room & another full bathroom
* Our entire outside!! Lay grass, patio, make raised flower beds, instal a fence......not looking forward to this one!!!
Posted on October 19, 2012 at 6:36 am
GermanBride2011
05/28/2011
GermanBride2011

GermanBride2011

Followers
Following

GermanBride2011

We are currently in the process of buying our first house. We had our last appt with the agent yesterday - so hope we will hear from him today or latest tomorrow if we will get the house. Moving over will not before next year November as the previous owners are building a new house (a bungalow because of health issues) in early 2013. So meanwhile hoping and hoping and FX that we will get this amazing house.

Oh Cannooknic - I have seen the pics of your boys bedrooms. You did an amazing job on it. I think the rest of you house will also look great like these two rooms. Love to see more pics :)

Maybe it is a gerat idea to post pics of our finished work in this post? What are you thinking about?

Posted on October 23, 2012 at 1:32 am
prbetsi75
05/08/2010
prbetsi75

prbetsi75

Followers
Following

prbetsi75

Hey everyone!!

So I've been in my home for over 2 years....so much of the big stuff is done.  We got some trimwork done a few months ago and are probably going to install solar panels soon.  This past summer we also finally updated the backyard - putting down some pavers, redoing the stairs, and we bought some patio furniture...and I love it! 

In the coming year, I hope to redo the master bathroom. 

That's about it for us!

Raniak, I am in LOVE with your house!  And I can totally understand how it feels to be overwhelmed at first...But just focus on one room at a time, and you'll be fine.  Plus we're all here to help!

Posted on October 23, 2012 at 4:07 am
Canooknic
07/19/2013
Canooknic

Canooknic

Followers
Following

Canooknic

Thank you Germanbride!! I was happy with the results - there are still other things I would have liked to add, but the boys are so happy with their rooms that I'll put my efforts into the other rooms instead.

Raniak - I have looked EVERYWHERE for curtains!!!!! I am completely Googled-out!
My problem is that I don't want anything too fancy, or too plain! Lol. I ordered my bedding from my favourite department store in Engkand, but they don't do a co-ordinating curtain so I'm now constantly walking around stores with a pillowcase in my bag just incase!

I'll get some piccies on here soon - maybe you lovely ladies can give me some ideas!! Starting with a completely blank canvas is more difficult than I thought it would be!

Let's see some photos of your homes girlies!!!!!
Posted on October 23, 2012 at 4:43 am
prbetsi75
05/08/2010
prbetsi75

prbetsi75

Followers
Following

prbetsi75

Canooknic, have you checked Bed, Bath, and Beyond and JC Penney for curtains?  I prefer the grommet ones...they are the most contemporary, yet simple, to me!

I've posted some photos of my home here: 

http://www.projectwedding.com/post/list/trimwork-in-the-foyer-before-after-pics-2

It's the 4 or 5th post in that thread.

Posted on October 23, 2012 at 4:50 am
fromcoldtofire
07/08/2011
fromcoldtofire

fromcoldtofire

Followers
Following

fromcoldtofire

Hi girls! I'm loving this thread and catching up with everyone!

We made settlement last Monday but aren't officially moving in until this coming Saturday! In between we've recruited our parents and have been painting just about every room. The previous owners did a very sloppy job of painting a neutral color in almost all of the rooms, so in one way it's great because of the neutrality, but getting paint off of the walnut trim and white ceilings has been hell!

So far we've finished three of the four bedrooms. (One had wallpaper and was a b*tch!) We've also painted the living room and dining room, including a multi-coat red accent wall. I'm trying a Pinterest project today - under the chairrail in the dining room I'm painting a pattern in glossy paint over the same color flat paint. I think we'll also try to finish painting the foyer/hallway.

We've leaving the fourth bedroom and all three bathrooms as they are right now (two of the BAs are great, one needs an overhaul). We still have to paint the kitchen, the family room, the mudroom, and the front door/shutters. We also are going to begin finishing the basement, but considering it's over 1000 sqft, I'm not sure we want to embark on that right away!

Out first non-paint project, other than little things like switching out hardware in the kitchen, is to have a fence installed in the backyard for our dog. Until that's in place she has to stay with my parents, and we're going to miss her horribly :(

Now that I've written all of that, I can't wait to get out of school and get to work on the house!

Posted on October 24, 2012 at 4:14 am
Canooknic
07/19/2013
Canooknic

Canooknic

Followers
Following

Canooknic

Everything sounds so exciting ladies!!

Prbetsi75 - I did try BB&B but nothing really worked, I haven't tried JC Penney just because if they aren't right it's a bit of a pain to return them (I'm in Canada). I'm going to try a couple of department stores at the mall next weekend

FCTF - when do you sleep?? You've done so much, it's amazing!!

Raniak - I can't wait to see piccies inside!! I know what you mean about finding it hard to move from 'house' to 'home'. Our house is brand new so I'm finding it hard to stop it from looking like a show-home!! All the walls are so pretty and perfect that I don't want to cover them all with pictures, but it all looks so bare otherwise!

This is a great thread!!!!
Posted on October 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm
GermanBride2011
05/28/2011
GermanBride2011

GermanBride2011

Followers
Following

GermanBride2011

We received sad news this morning. We're out and we did not get the house. The agent called DH this morning to tell and he's so sad too. The house is so great and we wished so mcuh that we will get it. But the other interested couple offered a such higher amout than us. But this amount isn't worth it. It's also the opinion of the agent.

So we are now again on the house hunting way :( and hope we will find a better and more special one for us soon!!!

Posted on October 29, 2012 at 3:54 am
Canooknic
07/19/2013
Canooknic

Canooknic

Followers
Following

Canooknic

That sucks! I hate the house buying stress! Twice I fell in love with houses and the sales fell through, this time I didn't risk it and bought a brand new one!!

You all be please to know (I'm sure you've been worried! Lol) I found bedroom curtains!!!! woohoo!
We were in BB&B looking for some purple kitchen utensils and by the door they had a ton of clearance stuff - I was looking through the tablecloths and there were 2 black & grey curtain panels!!! Perfect size and color - and only $19.99!!!! Other shoppers must have thought I'd won the lottery or something - I literally squealed! Unfortunately they didn't have the right curtain pole so I still can't hang them, but there are plenty of other places that I can find one of them!!!
Posted on October 31, 2012 at 4:16 am
GermanBride2011
05/28/2011
GermanBride2011

GermanBride2011

Followers
Following

GermanBride2011

Thanks Rania and Canooknic for your kind and warm words - it's hard but hope we will find a better one soon. Plus a house were we can move in at the latest next spring /summer. If we had bought this house we could not move in before next december as the homeowners are build a new house for themselves next year and as along as they are building they have to live in this house - so there is a positive sight :)

And yeahh Canooknic that you finally found bedroom curtains you love and for a great deal. Can't wait to see pics from these beauties :)

Posted on October 31, 2012 at 9:04 am

Have a question? Contact Support
Top Contributors this Week
Miss_M_to_Mrs_W
28 posts
Kuppy13
26 posts
NicholeB
25 posts
Melo819
21 posts
Uhlease