moore807 is back! Recap with nonpros

I'm back as Mrs. Gray now (wow, how unreal it is to say that).  It was so much fun, and things went so much better than I could have dreamed.

Thursday:  My department surprised me with a small shower, and it was such a sweet time with them.  After work, I then went home and got busy packing and moving stuff.  I didn't get in until nearly 11.  I took a shower, spent some time with my grandparents, and then went to bed.

Friday:  I went through my work day with things going fairly well.  So many of my students congratulated me, and some (under the instruction of my department chair) changed my nameplate outside my door to reflect my new name.  As soon as 3:00 hits and the kids leave, I make my escape and go to the store to pick up cookies, drinks, plates, cups, forks, and salad for the rehearsal dinner.  I got home and discovered that DH (oh my gosh, I almost typed FH) was still in Houston waiting for his dad's bus to get in, and he had forgotten to get ice so we could put our stuff for punch in a cooler.  My grandparents' internet wasn't working, so I ended up being on the phone with their provider for 45 minutes.  So it's now about 20 minutes before the rehearsal, I still need to make salad, and DH finally arrives with his dad to pick up the cooler with the punch stuff.  I hurriedly pack up stuff in my car (in the rain) and head down to the church.  DH had to take care of a few things before hand, so the last to show up were the bride, the groom, and his dad.  The rehearsal went smoothly, we shared many laughs, and just had a great time.  Travis, DH's best man, told me that evening that when we said goodbye after the RD, that would be the last time I would see or hear him until I walked down the aisle (except for the brief moment we took before the ceremony to pray).  So after a fun, laidback RD, we said our goodbyes, I went back to my grandparents to pick up my stuff for my hen party and the next day, said goodbye to them, and headed to the hotel.  It was very small--my MatOH (Alesha), my niece (Brittani), one of my BMs and a friend.  We chatted, painted our toes, snacked on some stuff, and after my BM and friend left, Alesha, Brittani, and I got ready and went to bed.  

Saturday:  I woke up realizing that I forgot to bring my perfume and the takeout boxes for the cake.  I didn't freak, because I knew that the salon was just down the road from my grandparents' apartment, so I could go get it.  After having a light breakfast, we got in my car and went to the salon.  My normal stylist was unable to be there due to a death in the family, but she set me up with another woman who did fantastic updos (I later found out that she used to do hair for fashion shows in Russia and she was a perfectionist!).  She looked at the picture, looked at me, and said, "Oh, this is too simple.  I'll make it better!"  She went with the same basic idea but dressed it up a bit, and it turned out so beautiful!  My BM, Tina, went to pick up the stuff from my grandparents' apartment while my other BM, Susan, picked up Subway sandwiches for us.  Once we were done at the salon, Alesha and Brittani and I headed to their hotel to pick up our dresses.  I applied my makeup all the way to the church.  We got there and discovered that the church wasn't unlocked yet.  Fortunately, our pastor's wife was nearby and could get us in.  

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 4:07 am
chrissyrenaegray
03/10/2012
chrissyrenaegray

chrissyrenaegray

Followers
Following

(40) Comments

chrissyrenaegray
03/10/2012
chrissyrenaegray

chrissyrenaegray

Followers
Following

chrissyrenaegray

After we got in, we hurriedly got things set up in the reception area as far as plates, cups, etc.  Then we sat down and ate lunch in our changing room.  The BMs started changing, and then I discovered that one of my nails was missing (that's what I get for getting the cheap $5 ones at Wal-Mart!).  So our DOC (our decorator ended up acting as one for us--a pleasant surprise!) borrowed Tina's car and headed to the nearest drugstore.  DH's best man and his wife stopped by to see if I needed anything done, and they informed me that he was there.  Fortunately, our DOC came back, and I stuck a nail on and started to get ready (thank goodness for zippers!).  Just as I was getting ready to put on my garter, my grandmother walks in, and the waterworks start.  We had to spend some time fixing my makeup after that.  When she left, my sister came in, and as soon as she saw me, her face crumpled into crying as well.  We hugged and laughed, and she talked about how beautiful I was.  It was a repeat as well when my mom came in the room.  

We had decided that at 1:45, DH and I would meet up at a corner of the building to pray before the ceremony, so it was time for me to head to my spot so he couldn't see me.  I got on one side of the building and waited.  I had heard reports about DH being tense and nervous, and as he was walking down the hall, someone said he looked "like a boxer loosening up."  Travis directed him where to be, told me I looked beautiful, and helped us join hands.  I'm so glad we chose to pray before the ceremony because it helped me keep my focus on what I was doing--marrying my best friend before God.  DH left, and it was time for us to line up.  My mom brought my aunt back to see me, and her reaction was priceless.  She gasped and said, "Oh my god!  You've grown!  You were a little girl and now you are a beautiful woman!"  They finally went to their seats.  Tina looked in the sanctuary and said, "Someone has peacock feathers...on a hat."  I was like, "What?"  She then said, "Yeah, a man out there is wearing a top hat with peacock feathers on it."  I figured it was our friend, KK, when she said it (he would be the only one of our friends who would wear a top hat with peacock feathers to a wedding, and it ended up being a steampunk hat he had just gotten in the mail the day before), and frankly, I thought it was pretty cool, like a twist on the British weddings.  My ladies, my grandfather, and I had a laugh, and then I heard the music start.

The walk down the aisle seemed so short for such a momentous occasion, but I did get to see DH's face when he saw me coming down the aisle.  It's hard to put into words what that expression meant, but I knew it was one of pleasure.  For a couple who shared plenty of tears during the rehearsal, we went through the ceremony fairly well with some tears.  There were no flubs on the vows at all, and the hand ceremony was beautiful.  And it's true that the ceremony is a bit of a blur; I didn't really notice anyone (except for DH's grandfather who decided to actually get up front to take pictures of us during the ceremony!) but DH and our pastor.  We pledged our devotion to each other, Mason (my nephew) read some Scripture, the pastor presented a message, we exchanged vows, rings, and did a hand ceremony (which our pastor had never heard of until this and liked it so much that he wants to give it to future couples as an option).  It was then time for the kiss, and we had a wonderful kiss, but it apparently was short because our pastor said, "That was it?  I usually have to tell couples to stop."  Of course, both DH and I were thinking of keeping it "G" rated...lol  We were then announced as Mr. and Mrs. Gray, and we then walked out of the sanctuary.  As we headed through the hallway that lead to the other entrance to the sanctuary, DH and I stole a kiss, which was caught by our wedding party.  

Pictures went VERY quickly!  Jackie (who did our e-pics) did these, and she was kind enough to take pictures during the ceremony (she said she couldn't help it), so we're going to have pro pics during our ceremony!

The reception went well, though short, which was fine.  We didn't get our grand entrance song, but that was okay.  We were able to greet everyone, though it was quick, and we enjoyed some cake and punch.  We then did our "grand exit" so people could go home.  We practically had to be pushed out (we couldn't help it--we wanted to help everyone clean up!).  So we walked out to DH's truck, where one of the pastor's daughters created a "Just Married" sign to go in the back window, and we went home.

Our wedding was not a traditional one by any means, and it was super simple, but it was the best for us.  We've received so many compliments, and I have to say that part of it was because we were so relaxed and we wanted to enjoy it as much as our guests.  We didn't want to get caught up in how everything looked--we were just excited to begin our life as husband and wife.  I received the following comment from a friend on Facebook who did not attend the wedding, but what she had to say was amazing:

"Loving the pictures! You are not only a beautiful bride, but also a delightfully happy bride. So many wedding pictures show a bride who seems slightly preoccupied, one eye always checking to see that the centerpieces are still just so, but you are so completely in the moment and just enjoying all the love surrounding you and Wes, your joy shines through. It makes me happy to look at your pictures :)"

So keep in mind that yes, you've put a ton of time and effort into this day, but don't stress out!

Non-pros in the next post!

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 4:07 am
primobride
03/23/2012
primobride

primobride

Followers
Following

primobride

Sounds like you had a very very touching day. I am so happy for you! Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures!

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 4:14 am
chrissyrenaegray
03/10/2012
chrissyrenaegray

chrissyrenaegray

Followers
Following

chrissyrenaegray

This was when one of my pastor's daughters came in and saw me for the first time in my dress.  Her sister made the tissue paper flowers in my hand.

This was when one photo 3317353-1

This was when we said our vows.

This was when one photo 3317353-2

This was KK and his peacock hat.

This was when one photo 3317353-3

The groom's cake, made by his grandmother

This was when one photo 3317353-4

Our gorgeous wedding cake, made by friends.

This was when one photo 3317353-5

Cutting the grooms cake; not sure why I'm cracking up, but it's one of my favorite pics of us.

This was when one photo 3317353-6

KK, again, goofing off with DH; in this pic, he was saying, "Boy, come sit on granpappy's lap, and I'll tell you a story about WINDmills!"  We've no idea where that's from, but we've been saying it ever since.  This pic made me laugh when I saw it on FB.

This was when one photo 3317353-7

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 4:16 am
missjess485
02/19/2012
missjess485

missjess485

Followers
Following

missjess485

What a beautiful recap!! It sounds like you had a perfect day!

I absolutely love these pics! And the one of you laughing is so awesome, you can see how incredibly happy you are!

Also---you know some very talented people!! Those cakes are amazing!

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 4:19 am
NicoleJuliette
11/12/2011
NicoleJuliette

NicoleJuliette

Followers
Following

NicoleJuliette

Yaaaay what a fabulous recap! (I've been waiting for it!) Now I can't wait to see these pics!  The nonpros are fabulous. You look incredibly happy!

Can you believe you're a MRS!?

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 4:19 am
Faithk08
07/14/2012
Faithk08

Faithk08

Followers
Following

Faithk08

Aww, you sound like you had an amazing day!!! Congrats, MRS! Looking forward to seeing more photos!!!

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 4:21 am
kmpayne
05/28/2012
kmpayne

kmpayne

Followers
Following

kmpayne

woo hoo! congrats!! so glad that you had a wonderful day : )

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 4:23 am
primobride
03/23/2012
primobride

primobride

Followers
Following

primobride

pictures are perfect!!!! Sounds like a fabulous day!

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 4:24 am
suzannerice
06/02/2012
suzannerice

suzannerice

Followers
Following

suzannerice

What a great recap and love the non-pros! Im so glad you enjoyed the evening!

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 4:24 am
cuteboy2me
09/22/2012
cuteboy2me

cuteboy2me

Followers
Following

cuteboy2me

Travis directed him where to be, told me I looked beautiful, and helped us join hands.  I'm so glad we chose to pray before the ceremony because it helped me keep my focus on what I was doing--marrying my best friend before God.

I loved this part!  Love! Love! Love!  It made me tear up. 

Your wedding day sounds like a dream come true. 

Congratulations! 

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 5:27 am
Kszczes
07/13/2013
Kszczes

Kszczes

Followers
Following

Kszczes

Great pics! Sounds like you had so much fun. Congratulations!!

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 5:34 am
dodgercpkl
10/15/2010
dodgercpkl

dodgercpkl

Followers
Following

dodgercpkl

Beautiful pics!!  I can't wait to see the pros as well!  

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 5:34 am
mrsharris2012
09/02/2012
mrsharris2012

mrsharris2012

Followers
Following

mrsharris2012

Great recap! Sounds like you had an awesome day! Congrats on being a Mrs now!

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 5:46 am
Uhlease
09/02/2012
Uhlease

Uhlease

Followers
Following

Uhlease

Aww, loved reading your recap!! You looked gorgeous and I'm glad things went so smoothly :) Can't wait to see more pics! Congrats Mrs!!!

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 6:06 am
DansMrs
06/23/2012
DansMrs

DansMrs

Followers
Following

DansMrs

What a lovely recap and I love your photos! You looked beautiful as I expected and you look so happy! 

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 6:10 am
Elocha
05/26/2012
Elocha

Elocha

Followers
Following

Elocha

yayyy congrats!!!! it sound like an amazing day and the pics are great!

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 6:12 am
pnsiny
08/13/2011
pnsiny

pnsiny

Followers
Following

pnsiny

Cute!!! Congrsts
Posted on March 15, 2012 at 6:32 am
Mademoisellenicole
06/24/2013
Mademoisellenicole

Mademoisellenicole

Followers
Following

Mademoisellenicole

aw I am so happy that you enjoyed yourself and that everything went well. congratulations and all of God's blessings

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 6:32 am
Siouxzan
11/10/2012
Siouxzan

Siouxzan

Followers
Following

Siouxzan

Congrats!  Sounds like you had a terrific day.  I love the pic of you laughing.  Can't wait to see your pro pics.

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 6:58 am
Kristen_Tater
08/20/2011
Kristen_Tater

Kristen_Tater

Followers
Following

Kristen_Tater

Congrats hon!!! :) So glad your wedding day went so beautifully!! You look absolutely gorgeous, and I love all the pics so far!! I can't wait to see more!

Posted on March 15, 2012 at 7:00 am

Have a question? Contact Support
Top Contributors this Week
Levisjoe
12 posts
LauraSweet
8 posts
NicholeB
8 posts
Canooknic
7 posts
nataliefurt