NBR: we may be moving
So, DH's job might have us moving from southern California to Salt Lake City. DH and I are both California born and raised, and we have never lived anywhere other than the SF Bay Area and SoCal, so this could be a very new environment for us.
On the positive side:
- It's a promotion for DH and the raise they are offering will make the move worthwhile for us.... worthwhile for me to be a SAHM too. (yay!) This was important for us since it will be difficult for me to find a job let alone one that will pay enough to be worth putting Tommy in day care.
- They will also be offering us money to help with moving (I have no idea how much)
- Tommy is still very young, so we don't have to worry about taking him out of school or away from friends, etc. Better that we're doing this now than in 6 or 7 years.
- It's a new adventure and an opportunity to live in a new place, make new friends, etc.
- The cost of living is much lower than SoCal, so we could potentially afford a pretty nice place to live.
- Significantly. Less. Traffic.
- Both of us have never lived in a climate with snow and have never had a white Christmas. (is this a positive thing?)
On the negative side:
- Because the company is consolidating the amount of managers they have, if DH doesn't take this promotion, he will be demoted from manager to supervisor with no change in pay. If that happens he will just look for a new job. If he gets a new job it will probably not be with an airline, so we will no longer be able to fly for free. Boo.
- We are upside down on our mortgage and don't know if we should just sell the house and take the loss (about 20%) or try to rent it out for a while. The thought of renting scares me because that means we may have a period of time where we are paying rent AND a mortgage.
- We have no idea how long we will be living there. Our ultimate goal when we first moved to SoCal was to be there for 3 years or so and then move back to the Bay Area... it's been over 6 years now, but we really like Long Beach, so no complaints. We both worry what our options will be if we find Salt Lake City to be miserable for us.
- I worry that we will have a hard time finding like-minded friends there. I have lived in the LA area for 6 years and I have only just recently begun to make friends on my own who aren't DH's co-workers. I'm sad that we may be leaving such good friends behind.
- We will be farther away from our families and flying to visit them will be slightly harder to do. (this isn't THAT big a deal)
- I know this will sound odd, but we both wonder what it will be like living in a place that is so densely populated by white people. We are so used to being around so many different cultures, we often forget that in many places you don't see a lot of mixed marriages or mixed babies. I may be over-thinking that one, but it has definitely crossed my mind. Plus, DH wonders if he will be able to find a decent asian grocery store. :-)
The job offer isn't set in stone yet but it's looking more and more likely that we will be looking for a new place to live this summer. I know that people move all the time, this is just a new thing for us.
If we are friends on FB, I'd really appreciate if you don't say anything about this on there. Nothing has been decided and we'd like to keep it quiet until we know what's going to happen.
Thanks for letting me vent. It feels good to type everything out. Especially since we're both not sleeping much with this looming over us.
Any advice? Any questions we should be asking before we make our decision?