Question about IVF

So, I was talking with a friend the other day and it turns out if I wanted to do IVF, that with our insurance it will only cost 5K.  I was thinking IVF was going to cost us 13k - 15k. 

With that being said, how long do you typically "wait it out" with the treatment you are on before you look into something like that?  I was thinking of giving my doctor a year from when I started Clomid to get everything in working order, and then I personally would rather go through IVF then keep trying options that may not work. 

Just wondering what other people's thoughts on it were...

I am *hoping* it doesn't come to it and we can conceive before we have to consider IVF, but I am just the type of person that likes to explore all of the options and know is coming down the road.

Posted on March 15, 2011 at 11:48 am


  • 4
  • 11
  • 2.66k

(2) Comments



  • 5
  • 14
  • 6.57k


That's an amazing discovery and a huge help!!

I think a big factor is how old you are...if you're over 35, I'd say don't wait as long as you would if you are in your late 20's or early 30's. Since it's still pretty early in your TTC journey, I'd say spend a little time trying to get your body to ovulate on its own. So many girls on the TTC board just needed to get the right formula of medications to get their body to ovulate. Once it did, they got pregnant. Personally, I would rather try as many non-invasive measures as possible within a reasonable time before jumping to IVF. The meds, injections, procedures of IVF...they can take a toll. Now, we were talking with BEAN about it the other day in another post and for her, because one tube is blocked and her DH has sperm issues, skipping the other stuff and going straight to IVF would probably be the best issue. But I think until you know it's your best/only option, I'd hold off. Many RE's actually require that you go through a certain number of IUI's before they will even do IVF, unless there's a medical reason to skip them, I believe.

For you, I say give the Clomid a try for a bit...see if your doctor can find the right dose. If after a few cycles, it's not working, then talk about Femara or injectibles or something else that might work better. If you're under 35, they "say" a year is a good amount of time to wait to even seek help. But since you weren't ovulating, you obviously needed to see your doctor sooner to address that issue. So give it time :) I'm 36 next month and it will be 12 months of trying that month as well. I'm just now getting a referral to an RE and I'm wanting to try IUI for a few rounds before jumping to IVF. One, because insurance covers IUI but not IVF, but two, I want to try less invasive procedures first. IVF isn't a guarantee... I think I read that at most it's a 40% chance of success. So I want to make sure I HAVE to do it before shelling out the money!! :)
Posted on March 15, 2011 at 12:13 pm


  • 3
  • 12
  • 1.65k


I couldn't have said it better. I think if you are in the 35+ age bracket you may want to consider seriously looking into ivf right now but if you are in your twenties or early thirties I might consider trying a few more med combinations. IVF, if successful, could result in multiples which is its own set of dangers and is a lot of money and emotional energy to expend if just getting the right meds might work for you...
In my case, we would probably go the route of IVF since my insurance covers ivf(partially). So far, we have no known cause for infertility so nothing we can really do right now and I am 35 and DH is 37. We are running out of time and the more time that goes by the less likely even IVF would work for us and we would like more than one LO so time is a big issue...

Posted on March 15, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Have a question? Contact Support
Top Contributors this Week
25 posts
23 posts
19 posts
18 posts
14 posts
10 posts