Tips For Boudoir Your Boudoir Session
I just did my newsletter for my first boudoir marathon for my clients, complete with tips on what to wear and makeup. I just thought I would share it will all of you, just in case you are planning on having yours done any time soon!
What should I wear?
The most important thing -- choose outfits that make you feel sexy. A good rule of thumb: Bring something white, something black, and something in a bright color so you can mix and match. A corset will create sexy curves. In addition to lingerie, don't forget shoes, jewelry, and accessories.
What planning should I do before my session?
Have your outfits picked out a day or two in advance. Have a couple more outfits ready than you plan on doing. That way if you have a last minute 'wardrobe malfunction' it won't be a problem.
Here are several things that are important when preparing for your photo shoot:
1. Get a good night's sleep and stay healthy. If you're tired, it will reflect on your face, your overall appearance and your attitude. Try not to stress your body and mind a few days before the shoot. Avoid sweets, salty foods, physical stress and heavy eating! Continue with your daily exercising on a regular basis. Drink fluids sparingly.
2. Shave (about a day before) or wax your legs and armpits a few days before a session. If you're modeling lingerie, nude or open swimwear, take care of the bikini line.
3. Your hair. If you need some trimming, a couple of days before the shoot is the right time. Any coloring should be done ahead of time.
4. If you don't hire a make up artist, put a base makeup before coming to a shoot and don't forget your own make up kit. Don't use any gels or special hair treatments to keep it healthy for the shoot.
5. Get your outfits and props ready. Avoid bright whites, stripes or any other patterns unless specifically requested. Solid colors are the best choice. Be prepared a day before to avoid last minute runs. Bring the props that match your outfits in color, texture or by theme.
Prior to your shoot put on some body lotion and come to your session wearing clothing that fits loosely or a robe to insure the least amounts of marks on your body. These marks take time to go away and may waste your limited amount of time allocated for the portrait session.
If you are doing your boudoir session in the wintertime and need to work on your tan, a professional spray tan applied at least a day or two before your session works great. Sometimes regular tanning beds can give you red marks on your rear end that you’ll want to avoid. Yikes!
High heels are must bring accessory! Basic black pumps are perfect, but I also love to incorporate thigh high boots into my sessions. If you have those amazing, designer shoes that are impossible to walk in, this is the perfect time to dust them off and get them out of the closet.
Paint your fingernails and toe nails. Yes, they will be seen in the pictures.
It isn’t really necessary to spend lots of money on tons of lingerie before your photo shoot although it is fun:) A nice black bra and panty set works great. White is good too. Boy shorts make everyone look awesome! Remember solid colors without patterns are best.
False eyelashes applied correctly can dramatically enhance your eyes and overall look in these sexy photo shoots. Love them!
On the day of your shoot, Make it a light meal, so that you feel comfortable during your shoot, but don't forget to EAT! Having a piece of fruit shortly before the shoot will help give you an energy boost, which you'll need as posing for each shot does take some effort.
Try to plan your day out in advance, so that time doesn't ruin your experience: Leave work an hour early; If you have a hair/makeup appointment, book it far enough ahead of your shoot to leave some free time; Leave a little early to get to the appointment; etc. This will help you stay relaxed and stress free for your shoot.
Come to the appointment in loose fitting clothes to reduce the amount of marks on your body. And change into a bathrobe or loose button up shirt after you arrive. The marks take some time to leave and may waste some of your shooting time. A button up shirt will help keep your hair and makeup undisturbed too. A clear deodorant is also advised to keep clothes free of marks (and also allow you a better range of poses!)
I think it’s so important to look at some pin-up or boudoir photography before coming in for your session. I’ll ask clients to email or bring a few images that inspire them and in return the photos will inspire me while we are shooting. There are so many different looks out there and having some photos can help guide hair, makeup, outfit choices and poses! So who’s your inspiration? Are you a Kim? Britney? Marilyn? Who is inspiring your Boudoir shoot?
If you are making this a surprise, bring along wipes to remove the makeup off your face so you come out looking as you left, bring lotion for your legs and body to give you that extra shine. Also be sure to practice any poses or facial expressions you want to try out in front of the mirror. You may feel silly, but this way you know what you like and what you don't like.
I highly recommend using a Professional Makeup Artist. It is well worth the money for the truly fantastic job one can do for you. (You are of course welcome to do your own makeup. If you do choose to use a makeup artist don't forget to allow extra time (30-45 minutes) to have it done! Double that if your having your hair done as well. Here are some tips if you plan on doing your own makeup:
- Lipstick should be at least one shade deeper than usual. Especially if your hair or clothing is black.
- Use a good quality makeup that works well for photography. MAC & Make Up For Ever are one of the best brands.
- Avoid frosted lipstick as it shows upvery light in photos.
- Blush and eye makeup should be applied slightly heavier than normal but neatly and precisely.
- Eye shadow should be a shade lighter so that the eyes are brought forward.
- Use a powder-based makeup as oil-based makeup appears shiny, OR
- Use an application of powder to achieve a matte finish on the skin
Hope that helps! If you have any other tips please let us know!