Had to go with the amnio anyway :/
Hey ladies! Well, it seems like Rory is really giving us a run for our money. I had another OB visit and ultrasound on Wednesday. The good news--we got to see him, and we even got to see his face several times. Here's one shot:
He is so beautiful (at least, to DH and I)! But with the u/s came more concerns. At our 18w u/s, Rory's measurements were about 6 days behind where he needed to be, and this time at the 22w, it was nearly two weeks behind. The placenta and umbilical cord seem to be doing their jobs based on the fact that Rory is clearly getting nourishment, and normally the fluctuations in growth don't occur until much later in the pregnancy, so it could mean that there is an infection, something chromosomal, or a complete unknown.
So we decided to go through with the amnio, which was not a terrible experience, but very uncomfortable. And then there was the waiting game the 24 hours afterward to see if I would miscarry; I felt so sorry for DH, because everytime I got up or shifted in bed Wednesday night, he would wake up and ask if I was okay. I'm so glad he had Thursday off as well, not just to be with me but to rest himself.
I should be getting some preliminary results today, and the complete/official ones in a couple of weeks. We did have some fluid set aside in case the tests come back clear so that they can do another test that will look at the parts of each chromosomal strand completely to see if there's anything missing or anything extra that could tell them about other problems. So, I guess that's the update on this end. I hope everyone is doing well.