My very delayed birth story

I have tried to type this story up 3 or 4 times since the birth, but for whatever reason, it keeps erasing, so let’s try it again!

On August 28th, I went in for an ultrasound and OB appointment; the ultrasound found that the blood flow in the umbilical cord was still poor, and my amniotic fluid was getting low.  The OB appointment didn’t go much better, as she said I was slightly dehydrated and because he was so small, if he was born then, he would not be viable.

So the next few days I tried to drink more water, and I was feeling okay.  Wes was going to have Labor Day off, so we were thinking about how we were going to spend the three-day weekend.  Saturday morning I woke up at 6:30 a.m. with what I thought was gas cramps.  I tried walking around, but it still didn’t alleviate them, so I thought maybe these were Braxton-Hicks.  Around 10:15 a.m., I noticed pink discharge and called the hospital.  They told me that the doctor on duty would call me back.  Wes called my grandparents and my mom, and my mom told him to not wait but to take me to the hospital immediately.  On our way there, we got the call from the doctor who told us to come in.

When we got there, I was taken to an assessment room; the ultrasound showed Rory doing fine, but I was dilated 2-3 cm.  So they hooked me up to some magnesium to try to stop the contractions and I was taken to a L & D room.  It felt like the contractions were easing up, but around 9 p.m., they started getting worse.  When the doctor went to assess me, they noticed blood.  The nurse thought my water had broken, but the doctor thought it was bloody show; sure enough, the doctor was right, and my cervix had dilated to 4-5 cm.   I waited for the epidural, but when the contractions got to be too much at 3 a.m., I asked for the drugs.  After that, I was able to sleep for a few hours.

Around 7:45 a.m., I was assessed again and even though I wasn’t completely dilated, the doctor could feel fetal parts in the birthing canal, so he decided it was time.  Wes had gone to get breakfast, so I called him.  Somehow between the few minutes it took to get on the elevator and up to my room, he updated our family, and in less than 30 minutes, Rory was born.  The NICU team was in the same room and immediately began to work on Rory.  He needed to be resuscitated and when they called Wes over, he was afraid it was to tell him that Rory did not make it.  Thankfully, they were just needing him to touch our son.  Wes went up to the NICU with the boy while they tried to get the rest of the placenta out of me.

I was placed in a mother-baby room a few hours later, and I felt fine.  However, over the next couple of days, my blood pressure continued to go up until Tuesday night they put me in ICU status and I was taken to L & D again so they could put some IV fluids in me.  I was on bed rest for 24 hours while they tried to get my blood pressure down.  It was decided that I had suffered from the after effects of pre-eclampsia.  After a few days, I was able to go home.

Rory is still in the NICU, and he’s had a battle, but he’s doing well, and we’re staying positive that he will make it.  He’s got such a fighting personality, and even though we know that personality may cause us some headaches, it’s also part of what’s keeping him going right now.  We hope to bring him home sometime late November to mid-December, if not sooner.

Posted on October 12, 2013 at 11:31 am


  • 5
  • 17
  • 5.5k

(1) Comment



  • 5
  • 19
  • 8.96k


Christina, I can't imagine how emotional Rory's delivery was. I am so glad he is doing so well and and is such a fighter! You are Wes are amazing parents to a special little boy!

Posted on October 15, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Have a question? Contact Support
Top Contributors this Week
17 posts
7 posts
6 posts
4 posts
3 posts
2 posts