Team Blue Mommas: To circ or not to circ
Just trying to get everyone's thoughts on circumcision...I hope this post doesn't offend anyone or make anyone uncomfortable. I know that this is such a taboo topic (and I don't know if it's been brought up recently, but I can't seem to find the thread if it has). I was wondering your thoughts on the matter, espeically mommas of boys, if you are comfortable sharing ...
Here is some of the data I've found while researching:
PROS OF CIRC'ING:
- About 50-65% of the population is circ'ed in the US (depending on where you live).
- My DH is circ'ed
- Less cases of UTI infections (however only 1% of boys who are not circ'ed will be affected)
- About 1% of men have to have corrected surgery later in life for a foreskin that won't retract all the way
- No need to worry about cleaning
PROS OF NOT CIRC'ING:
- It's becoming less and less common (since the 80s especially): In most places in the US only 1/2 the population is circ'ed
- There is not medical "necessity" for this procedure, unless it is for religious reasons
- You keep 20,000 nerve endings that can increase sexual pleasure later in life (although these findings are mixed)
- About 1% complication risk (infection/botched procedure)
- Cleaning is very simple: and doesn't need to begin until the foreskin retracts, usually for a child around 4 years of age. It's similar to cleaning little girl parts, just on a boy.
DH is circ'ed, but he does not want to circ our son. I was surprised by how passionate he was, actually! I am on the fence, really. I'm sure we will end up with what he wants, but just curious about your thoughts if you want to share them!