Why I've given up on using cloth diapers...
With bringing a little one in into the world we are faced with lots of choices; natural or medicated delivery, breast or formula, cloth or disposable and the list goes on. Almost a year before trying to conceive I had decided cloth was for us. How could I pass up the cost savings (I love saving money) and being environmental at the same time? There was not other choice but cloth!
I had done my homework. I had read numerous blog posts, watched videos, asked lots of questions, price matched and even got DH on board (as long as we used liners) but things didn't go quite as planned and here is why...
1. Switching detergents. Okay, I know it isn't that big of a deal but we weren't impressed with giving away our new huge tub of tide and three boxes of fabric sheets. There is no point in storing these things for a couple years, right?
2. I suck at laundry. There have been so many times that I've started a load and completely forgotten about it until DH reminded me. This is not so great when you've got to run a rinse cycle and the go back and restart the machine to wash and then put the diapers in the dryer (or hang them which is what is recomended).
3. I dreaded stuffing the diapers. Every time they'd come out of the wash I kept putting it off. I'll do it after this, or that or tomorrow...
4. They are pretty bulky. This is vain I realize, but most of her NM clothes wouldn't fit over the diaper or it stuck out the sides. Plus, I wasn't a fan of the green/yellow/blue diaper when I'd have her in a pink outfit (yes, I realize this is a little silly...)
5. The main reason for giving up on cloth; my baby gets hot! Every time I'd put her in a cloth diaper she'd start burning up. I even tried having her wear them around the house without any clothes and her bottom would be so warm and red. I started feeling bad every time I put them on.
Honestly, I'm pretty sad that I didn't fall in love with cloth like a lot of other mommas, but just because something works for one family doesn't mean it works for them all and I'm okay with being a disposable diaper family.
(Please note, this post is not meant to discourage anyone from trying cloth diapers, I just wanted you to know you are not alone if you decide cloth isn't for you.)