Daily Calorie Intake?

All this food/shake talk has me thinking calories!  One of my big focuses during this stage is nutrition, eating and exercising.  I use MFP and since my job is mostly sedentary my calorie intake is pretty low - 1,250.  Thing is, I feel full on 1,250 of healthy calories.  And I'm trying to maintain my weight right now, so I'm eating back most/all/a bit more, of my workout calorie burn. 


I was reading on pre-pregnancy and pregnancy nutrition, and you really only need to increase your caloric intake by 100-300 extra calories (per day) from pre-pregnancy till your last trimester.  It's more about dramatically increasing your nutrients, not food consumption.  But of course the book mentions pre-pregnancy should be 2,000-2,200 calories a day. 


Thoughts on you & calories?

Posted on March 13, 2013 at 4:55 am
winterbride2011
10
03/05/2011
winterbride2011

winterbride2011

  • 10
  • 15
  • 13.1k
304
Followers
306
Following

(4) Comments

AuntTate
4
09/10/2011
AuntTate

AuntTate

  • 4
  • 14
  • 2.09k
70
Followers
74
Following

AuntTate

I didnt change the way I ate at all prior to getting my BFP, which probably isn't the best thing.  I aim to eat a little healthier than I was now and do the best I can.  I've gained around 30 lbs probably and it's all in my stomach, I havent gained weight any place else.  Honestly, I'd eat as healthy as you can now because once you get that BFP and morning sickness and cravings kick in, that whole theory will go out the window.  You'll eat whatever doesn't make you sick and whatever makes you feel satisfied.

Posted on March 13, 2013 at 7:14 am
winterbride2011
10
03/05/2011
winterbride2011

winterbride2011

  • 10
  • 15
  • 13.1k
304
Followers
306
Following

winterbride2011

Oh I'm definitely eating healthy! Lots of good foods like spinach, quinoa, lean protein, etc. I cook 95% of what we eat (which means packed lunches for work) and I drink loads of veggies & fruits in smoothie form (Vitamix homemade). No margarine, minimal processed foods, etc. I'm more concerned about necessary calorie consumption...
Posted on March 13, 2013 at 7:38 am
msdl
15
05/28/2011
msdl

msdl

  • 15
  • 20
  • 16.3k
499
Followers
498
Following

msdl

I use MFP as well, A :-) I actually didn't start until I got pregnant. I just wanted to monitor my calorie intake/exercise and make sure I was gaining weight at a healthy pace. I was consuming about 1700-1800 cals/day pre-preg, and am now at about 2000. I eat almost exactly the way you described, and 90% of the time, it feels perfect. I am full of healthy calories and it works out great. The other 10% of the time, it is like AuntTate described! :-) It is hard to maintain an absolutely strict diet, for a bunch of different reasons. Food aversions, nausea, fatigue, daily schedules, etc. The hardest times for me are always when things are very busy at work. My energy levels are much different now, and even preparing a 30 minute dinner after a long work day can wipe me out sometimes. I feel better when I eat tiny meals 5-6 times a day, rather than 3 big meals. Which is okay for me, but not enjoyed so much by my DH who is used to normal dinners :-)

So all of this is to say that I think the most realistic goal for anyone is to have a plan but be flexible. It will definitely be a challenge, because your body has so much going on. I think it's great that you are thinking about all of this. Maybe consider bumping up to 1500 cals/day or so in the meantime? That shouldn't affect you too much, esp since you are working out.
Posted on March 13, 2013 at 9:18 am
NicoleJuliette
5
11/12/2011
NicoleJuliette

NicoleJuliette

  • 5
  • 18
  • 8.47k
293
Followers
295
Following

NicoleJuliette

I use MFP too! Well I was using it a bit more but I've been lax lately. If I look like AuntTate and msdl when I'm pregnant I will be one happy prego (yes I also stalk the baby bumps group)! I love that those from who have moved on to the baby bumps group come back to give us advice! ;)


I take in about 1200 and I'm working out (I dont track workouts on MFP because I think that part of it is really lacking). I eat about the same too Athena, I'm never hungry and/or tired since it's the right kind of nutrients. Ever since we Watched Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, DH has been on a nutritarian war path! So it's tons and tons of veggies and nutrient filled foods for us. Though this past week I've been doing not so well. It's weird I can feel how tired I am just from slacking a bit.

Posted on March 13, 2013 at 9:35 am

Have a question? Contact Support
Top Contributors this Week
Canooknic
22 posts
NicholeB
19 posts
NicoleJuliette
16 posts
krosa
12 posts
zeuster
12 posts
Levisjoe
9 posts