So you've decided to do a boudoir photography session, either as a gift to your fiance or yourself: Congrats! Here are some tips to help you have the best experience possible:
1. Collect as many inspiration photos as possible. Good sources are photographer's websites, the PW boards, magazines like Maxim, or even lingerie websites like Victoria's Secret. Then email them to your photographer so they can help you recreate the shots you love.
2. Find a photographer that you feel comfortable with. In many cases, brides will feel more comfortable with a female photographer than a male. Meet with them before hand to make sure they have a good personality and that they seem fun and engaging. Ask to see prior boudoir shots if they have them to make sure their style suits you.
3. If money is an issue, be sure to find a photographer that gives you your images on a CD so that you can order your own photobook. Many photographers do not offer this option, so be sure that your does.
4. If you live in an area that does not offer many boudoir photography options, email around. Be sure to contact those photographers who do not advertise boudoir services. Many times these photographers will offer less expensive options for just as good of a product. You may even be lucky enough to find a photographer who is just starting out with boudoir photography that may be willing to do the shoot for free in exchange for the ability to use your photos in their portfolio.
5. Brings LOTS of outfits. Remember to bring accessories, shoes, stockings, and props too! Bring more than you think you will need. It's always better to have too many things with you than to be thinking, "I wish I'd brought that!"
6. Wear loose clothing to the shoot. If you wear tight underwear or pants, you may have pressure lines that will show up in photos. If you are worried about messing up your hair, wear a button up shirt.
7. Give yourself plenty of time before and after the shoot. Make sure your entire day is free so that you are not worried about time. If you are stressed, it could show in your photos. Most shoots take between an hour and two hours, but remember to factor in driving time, the time it will take to get ready, and the time it will take after the shoot to get home and put everything away neatly as to not tip off your fiance.
8. Wear what you already own! It is not necessary to go buy a whole new wardrobe for the shoot. Many times you will realize that you own plenty of sexy items already. If you really want to buy something new for the shoot, go for a new pair of heels or piece of jewelry that you can return afterwards (this strategy is not recommended for lingerie).
9. Be who you are and don't be anything you aren't. It is not a requirement that you be nude or even partially nude if you are not comfortable. Also, make sure your hairstyle and makeup reflects who you are, just a little sexier than everyday. Don't feel you have to have your hair or makeup done in a way that is totally not you- your fiance should recognize you in these photos!
10. Have a blast! No matter what flaws you think you have, remember that you are a sexy woman! Your fiance wouldn't be marrying you if you weren't!
What other tips do you girls have?
Picture credit: Kevin Thom Photographer