By Jackie Potts for Project Wedding
They say opposites attract -- but they also say that exercise makes you skinny and bacon is bad for you. Pshaw! What do they know? Still, we can't deny that some celebrity twosomes have us scratching our heads. With that in mind, tag along as we page through the latest pile of gossip mags and get all judge-y on the top five most unusual star couplings:
5) Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon -- When pop's songbird married the geeky kid from "Drumline," even Nick's ex, Christian Milian, thought she was being punk'd: "I was like, 'Really?' It just seemed like a weird match," she told People magazine. Two years after their surprise wedding in the Bahamas however, Nick and Mariah are still going strong. He even called out Eminem after the rapper dissed Mrs. Cannon in the song "Bagpipes from Baghdad." "What type of grown-a** man lies about getting with a chick?" Nick wrote on his blog. "Only Slim Lamey!"
4) John Mayer and Jessica Simpson -- When the sarcastic emo rocker hooked up with Daisy Duke, it was a match made in a Far Side cartoon. What in the world do they talk about? we wondered. After they split, however, he finally revealed the secret of her attraction. Here's a hint: Her body is a wonderland.
3) Madonna and, Well, Everyone -- When Madonna wed bad-boy Brit director Guy Ritchie in 2000, finally it seemed as if the Material Girl had met her match. She got very domestic and started riding horses and even earned the frumpy nickname "Madge." But since they split, she's become the Hugh Hefner of the pop world -- dating boy toys like 23-year-old model Jesus Luz and stepping out with, say it isn't so, ex-hubby Sean Penn! Where will this madness end?
2) Gary Coleman and Shannon Price -- It's a sad truth that at four foot eight inches, your dating options are limited in Hollywood, but even Mrs. Garrett would have been a better match for "Diff'rent Strokes"' little Arnold Jackson than who he ended up with -- a 22-year-old, red-headed Mormon girl from Utah?! At age 40, Gary wed the 5-foot, 7-inch Shannon, whom he met on a movie set, and then announced six months later, he was still a virgin. Hmmm. Two months later, the two landed on TV's "Divorce Court," where Gary was reprimanded for his bad temper. Whatchoo talkin 'bout, Judge Toler?!
1) Sandra Bullock and Jesse James -- Oh, Sandy. Before the tragic headlines and the tattooed babes, Miss Congeniality and the squinty dude from "Monster Garage" actually seemed kinda lovestruck and cute, sorta like Naomi Watts and King Kong -- until he went girl crazy and ruined her post-Oscar buzz!