You will no longer have access to your Project Wedding account on or after March 30, 2017. Save any photos or information you'd like to keep and join WeddingWire for your all of your wedding planning needs today. Learn more »

Get Your Marriage License


Without a marriage license, even the most beautiful wedding is nothing more than a great show.  Getting your marriage license is the most important planning detail you'll encounter so it's essential that you're informed and prepared.

In the United States, as well as many other countries, your marriage is not legal without an official marriage license issued by the state where the ceremony takes place. The requirements and stipulations vary depending on the area so do your homework!

What Do I Need?

The easiest way to find out everything you should know to get a marriage license is to do a quick search for the state or country you're getting married in.  A few important details that typically differ from state to state are:

  • The timeframe for validity. Some states have a waiting period before the license is valid and most will honor the license for a period of 30 to 60 days.

  • Blood tests and health exams. Most areas have done away with this requirement but a few states still ask for these before issuing your license.

  • Fees. This is usually between $20 and $50.

  • Residency. If you're a US citizen getting married in the states, this is generally not a concern. But if you're planning a destination wedding in another country, you may need to be in the area a specified amount of time before the ceremony.

Regardless of where you will say ‘I do', both you and your fiancé must be present to apply for and sign the marriage license.  You will need picture IDs, birth certificates, information on any previous marriages or name changes, and sometimes your social security cards.  The county clerk's office is generally responsible for issuing the license and it should be given to the wedding officiant before the ceremony begins.

Your officiant will complete the license after the service and sign it, along with two witnesses - usually the best man and maid of honor.  He or she will also forward the license to the appropriate office and you'll receive an official copy of your marriage certificate after returning from your honeymoon.

Last Updated: December 16, 2008 at 6:18 am
Log in or Sign up to post a comment
Small thumb 3707 467481173303425 717565773 n
1412869234 small thumb image
1440542586 small thumb agostiniphoto7382 2
Missing profile
1375011234 small thumb 57f84a131384ea35ba361d9a278495cd
1375011449 small thumb b738ae5b8e965b25057100ac4b618119
Missing profile
1375011154 small thumb 38e4d6a2629fef4a83a34043eca359fc
1375011030 small thumb 8a44bdf41e042c01a43c2e347e0fa651
Missing profile
Other ideas in My Project Wedding Board by jeanish
1375584113 thumb 7a2a1715d71a9725b462c69f227f0be9 1401470023 thumb 633e5749dc0474eed2a5f60865416c6f 1375586139 thumb f6b1d5d4d95225338c1d7d4f0f9e5f93 1375591366 thumb e286dfee7e5650d52f4d2de14aced572 m 1401470408 thumb ee9aeb1111b0235f852c97699dc5f883 No image idea

Find Your Wedding Vendors

Featured Vendors Near You

Chat About It