Your parents have played a very big role in making your wedding spectacular. Not only did they raise you into the beautiful bride-to-be that you are, they've stood beside you through all your planning stress, offered their suggestions, and they may be funding the affair. Your parents, and your fiancé's, definitely deserve a huge thank you.
Set a Budget
I don't have to tell you that weddings are expensive - I'm sure you're learning that! It's important to include gift giving in your original wedding budget. There are no rules specifying an amount you should spend on gifts for your parents, but it's best to spend the same amount on both sets and to choose gifts that are somewhat similar. Some couples decide to give their parents a gift for the two of them while others select 2 separate gifts for mom and dad.
Thank You Gifts for Two
Giving your parents a thank you gift to enjoy together can be very meaningful and can also allow you to spend a little more on each gift. Depending on your budget, consider:
- Travel. Cruise tickets, hotel reservations for the weekend, or a romantic retreat to a local resort are all possible gift ideas.
- An evening out. Whether it's a gift card for a favorite restaurant, tickets to a show or a complete night of pampering including the limo, your parents deserve a night out to unwind after the wedding.
- Gift baskets. Wine baskets, gourmet food collections, or personalized his and her gift sets are terrific ways to say thank you and can fit into most any budget.
- Something personal. Creative gifts often hold the most meaning. Consider making a personalized video or slideshow for each set of parents, presenting them with a family photo calendar, or framing your favorite wedding pictures for a sentimental touch. Digital photo frames with a personal message are big hits with parents.
For Him, For Her
You may decide to honor your mom and dad with individual gifts rather than a joint thank you. If you've set a large budget, you could even do both!
Ideas for dads:
- Personalized cufflinks to wear on the wedding day.
- Gift certificate to a favorite store.
- Wine and cheese assortment.
- Personalized golf accessories.
- Pens, intriguing paperweights, monogrammed money clips or key chains.
Mothers may enjoy:
- Spa certificates.
- Earrings or a necklace for the wedding day.
- Bath soaps, candles, and fragrances in an elegant gift basket.
- Personalized photo albums, frames, or a jewelry box.
- Charm bracelet or necklace with a family theme.
Consider your parents' interests and you'll be sure to choose thank you gifts that your parents appreciate and remember for years to come - whatever your budget.