Changing Your Name - Here's What to Expect


If you're like most brides, you'll be exchanging your maiden name to take your husband's last name after you're married - but have you thought about everything that needs to be done, both before and after the wedding, to make your name change legal?

If you're not already familiar with all the little details involved in changing your name it can become quite a headache.   There are a variety of documents and papers you will need and there will be several different establishments that must be made aware of your new name.  The following checklist should keep you organized and make things a little easier.

Before the Wedding

Your name will change as soon as you're announced husband and wife, but the legal process recognizing that change takes much longer.  Take that into consideration as you're making honeymoon arrangements - if you're traveling out of the country or need legal documents to prove your identity, you could encounter trouble if you're using your new name.

You can also start thinking about changing things over to your new name at work.  Give your employer some advance notice and get started on the necessary paperwork.  Place an order for new business cards; alert the IT department to update your email address, as well as your profile on the company website; and change your voice mailbox to reflect your new name.  Anything that can be taken care of now will make things much easier on you when you get back to work after the honeymoon.

You can also start giving notice to others that need to be alerted of your name change.  The postal service, magazine subscriptions, and many clubs and organizations can take care of changing your name now, without verification.

After the Honeymoon

Once you've received an official copy of your marriage certificate, you can begin changing your name on your vital documents.  Your social security card should be first.  Visit your local social security office with your marriage license, your current card, and your driver's license.  You will need complete a name change form and the card will be sent to you within a few business days.

When your new social security card arrives, visit DMV and update your driver's license.  Again, you'll need your marriage certificate, social security card, and your old license.  With these two important documents out of the way, you should have no trouble changing your name on your bank accounts, credit cards, passport, and insurance policies. 

Last Updated: September 8, 2014 at 11:57 am
Log in or Sign up to post a comment
Missing profile
1375010023 small thumb 899dd808a263f53d2ff0bbea1f79a5cf
1375010218 small thumb 94e6c72a26a5b95321005c32729c6c57
1375010072 small thumb c40c7604586b306346e43fa5ad7700e2
1375009539 small thumb 108a2d0236f7489b31ef0daf342828e9
1375010021 small thumb 7df3381723418a60cf73adfce4f0438f
1375010115 small thumb 587a3a66c881df26f3f838f9be5ff1c2
1375009521 small thumb 02ec6b8107f31a817d6d6fdd01a2cbf6
1375009345 small thumb c76f1ca6824e342f4f70c85383c50f90
1375009361 small thumb 64928b365cce924b62db04d334de7174

Find Your Wedding Vendors

Featured Vendors Near You

Chat About It