As rocker Alice Cooper told us in the 1992 hit Wayne's World, Milwaukee is an Indian name pronounced, "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land". Milwaukee is also a good land for Brides and wedding cakes.
We touched base with Milwaukee baker Aggie Purcell at Aggie's Cakes and Pastries to get the story on Milwaukee cakes and what brides there love and expect.
Milwaukee Wedding Cakes - What Makes Them Unique?
Milwaukee has a rich culinary history filled with excellent bakeries, so brides expect the cake to not only be beautiful, but delicious as well. Milwaukee brides will tell you the texture and flavor of the cake is equally important as the design and decoration. A wedding cake created in Milwaukee needs to be absolutely delicious. In some cities a beautiful cake is enough, but in Milwaukee, it better taste good too!
Milwaukee is a diverse city represented by many different races and ethnicities. We serve many of these minority groups including, but not limited to: African?Americans, Hispanics, Germans and Italians. Some of our specialty items include: Red Velvet cake, Quinceanera cakes, Sweet?Potato Pie, Strudels and cannolis. We use only the finest ingredients in all of our products, so we often receive comments like, "This reminds me of mother's cooking!" Our product quality is what results in such a diverse customer base.
Milwaukee is the 2nd coldest place of the top 50 largest cities in America. On the other hand, temperatures can easily reach the mid 90's with high humidity during the summer months. Therefore, most weddings are held indoors, which is a good thing for our precious cakes. However, we still have to deliver the cakes, no matter how bad the weather is outside. Delivering a 5?tier, 50 pound cake is no easy task with 2 feet of snow on the ground.
Milwaukee Wedding Cakes - What Do Brides Want
1. Milwaukee brides want Value. People in this city work very hard for their money, so they are looking for a great cake at a great price. The cake needs to be a perfect combination of size, design and taste, all while staying within an allotted budget.
2. Milwaukee brides want Creativity. This city has a very strong culture, so brides want their wedding to have some style and flair. The cake needs to creatively demonstrate the bride's personal sense of style and design. Many of our customers are very active in the design process. It is very rewarding to help people create their dream wedding cake.
3. Milwaukee brides want Great Flavors. With such a strong local bakery heritage in Milwaukee, brides demand great tasting cakes. In fact, most of our tiered cakes are composed of 3 or 4 different flavors. Our brides typically choose a different flavor for each tier of the cake. We offer a very diverse flavor selection that can satisfy any palate.
4. Milwaukee brides want Progressive Designs. The most fashionable wedding cake styles and designs are far different from 10 years ago. For instance, a large portion of our business is now wedding cupcakes. Moreover, for some weddings we make individual cakes for each guest, or individual table cakes that serve as centerpieces. All of these new designs are very progressive and set Milwaukee brides apart from brides in different cities.
Milwaukee Wedding Cakes - Local Advice
1. The summer wedding months are extremely busy in Milwaukee, so brides should book their cake early. On some July weekends, we will have over twenty wedding cakes to make. Twentyfive is our maximum, so we typically have to turn?down a few brides each summer since they attempted to book their date too late.
2. Brides can get a beautiful cake at a good price in Milwaukee. Local bakeries are very reasonable in regards to wedding cake prices, and the quality is second to none. Brides can get a cake they see in a magazine for half of the price in comparison to larger cities.
3. Groom's cakes are extremely popular in Milwaukee. Wedding attendees love to see what the groom's favorite interests are. Whether it's a Brewer's baseball mitt or a Jeep, these cakes offer the groom a chance to express who they are on their big day. Groom's cakes are a very fun and easy way to add something unique to your wedding day.