You will no longer have access to your Project Wedding account on or after March 30, 2017. Save any photos or information you'd like to keep and join WeddingWire for your all of your wedding planning needs today. Learn more »

Flower and Feather Hairpiece


Now, I've seen other people do this, so I figured I'd try my hand at it.



My DIY hair flower took me about 20 minutes to make and cost less than $5.

My supplies:

  • One fake white rose (hold the dew drops please)

  • One red and brown feather accent

  • One button

  • Needle and thread

First, I deconstructed the rose. This always seems to be the first step in other tutorials so I followed suit. It came apart pretty easily just by pulling the pieces. I was left with five individual layers of petals. Now that I had the extra plastic pieces out of the way, I re-layered my petals leaving them light, fluffy and open instead of tight and closed like they were at first.

Next, I took out my handy-dandy sewing bag. Now, I'm nobody's domestic goddess. I don't whip up full outfits in a single day, nor do own a sewing machine. I just happened to amass a large amount of random buttons, thread and needles and they've all ended up in this sewing bag. Anyway I used my white thread and just sewed all the petals together. It's not a very neat job, but it doesn't matter much because the thread is the same color as the flower and it's very well hidden by the fluffiness of the petals.

Also in my sewing bag, I found a couple different buttons that I liked, but opted for the rhinestone button. I was a little worried that it would flop to much because the opening for the thread is only on the back side. The other buttons had true button holes where the thread would go all the way through and the button would lay flat. But I liked the look of the rhinestone button better so I went with it.

Since I'd already sewed the petals together, I used the same thread to sew the button into the center. I just made sure to pull the thread as tight as I could so the button would flop as little as possible.

After I had the flower and button assembled, I sewed on a feather accent I got from Michael's. There has to be a better way to describe it besides 'accent' but I can't think of it right now and that's what it says on the tag anyway.

I used the same thread and attached the feather. My flower instantly went from sweet and feminine to a little edgy and feminine.

Disclaimer: Never mind my hair or my t-shirt. Neither were prepared for this picture.

All in all, I like how it turned out. I do have one thing I might  try later though. My petals at the back of the flower are a little to loosey goosey and could easily get all tangled up if handled too much. I don't have any on hand right now, but I think I might try some sort of fabric stiffener spray.

Who knows if I'll actually end up wearing this flower (I'm constantly changing my mind these days) but it would nice with a birdcage veil. Just sayin'.

Last Updated: August 4, 2013 at 12:32 am
Tags: DIY Wedding
Log in or Sign up to post a comment
1375009361 small thumb 64928b365cce924b62db04d334de7174
Missing profile

Find Your Wedding Vendors

Featured Vendors Near You

Chat About It