Oct 28, 2011
Dan and I met a few times a la Harry Met Sally before becoming the "Dan&Karen" that our friends and family think of. Years before we became a couple we were briefly introduced in the Summer of 1996 by our mutual friend Becky. I had stopped by Becky’s house in Dayton, Ohio where Dan and his best friend Klint were. Dan had just moved back from Augusta, Georgia and was preparing to move to Gatlinburg, Tennessee, and I was heading to University of Toledo that Fall. Timing means everything and it wasn’t right yet (though Dan says he still remembers what I was wearing that night). The two of us said polite hellos and goodbyes and went on with our lives. We ran into each other again about a year later, at Becky’s house, and once again went on with our lives. We were briefly sharing the same zip code again.
It wasn’t until a cold snowy night in December of 1998 that we met again for a third time and spent some time getting to know each other. I had just moved back from Atlanta, Georgia. Klint and Dan picked me up from my parents’ house at Becky’s insistence because there was a blizzard and I wouldn’t drive. Dan and I were left all alone at Becky’s house. This night would come to be known as Crunchy Snow Night between Dan and me. The two of us watched movies together, talked, and laughed. We totally clicked but did not exchange numbers. Dan drove me home and we said goodnight as two new friends.
In February of 1999 Becky had an *ahem* wild birthday bash thrown by Tuty’s Inn in Fairborn which was our (Karen & Becky) favorite hangout at the time. We were karaoke queens and had a close knit group of friends there who would gather weekly. Guess who showed up that night? Dan with his friend Bill! Dan didn’t even want to go but Bill had talked him into it. Hooray, Bill!
Dan and I talked and laughed all night, drank many pitchers of Killian’s, and talked more. We talked about bands and discovered that we were both passionate about music (this laid the foundation for the two bands we would form in the future). The night went too fast and the bar closed. We said goodnight and I was sure that Dan wouldn’t call me.
Dan proved me wrong (something that I would have to get used to as it would occur often in the future) when he called three days later on March 2, 1999 and casually asked me to hang out with him and Klint that night. He had gotten my number from Becky. We went to dinner at Applebee’s and attempted to shoot pool at Wallaby’s. We discovered we both loved the band Social Distortion when "Ball and Chain" by Social D came on the jukebox and we danced to it. It’s amusing that this came to be known as our First Song as it’s an anti-love song. The two of us ended up alone together at Steak ‘N Shake where we talked for hours. Dan asked me out again for two nights later, which happened to be Dan’s birthday.
We celebrated with dinner and drinks at Dublin Pub with a group of Dan’s friends and then we went to 1470 West for the rest of the night. This was a common hangout but we hadn’t been there together until now. Dan swept me off my feet when he kissed me for the first time that night on the dance floor and we have rarely spent a day apart since then.
Please feel free to add me as a friend! :)
Thanks to Kristen_Tater for the idea for the graphic lyrics banner above. I used the quote from the front of our wedding programs.
We were married on October 28, 2011 - Halloween weekend, baby!
A bit about me -- My name is Karen and I survived 15 months of wedding planning! Haha. Thanks to PW, my husband Daniel and I had our perfect dream wedding and it was the most amazing day.
Our wedding theme was "Vintage Vegas Glam" though it turned out looking more Old Hollywood which was fine by me. I also used a lot of the leaf motif through the designs to incorporate our favorite season. I was able to make the designs swirly and elegant with this choice. Lighting played a large role in the look of the venue. We wanted "a lot of red light" and I was honestly worried that there would be too much black and not enough red in the final look. Ha, that's funny now! We booked an additional lighting company for red uplights and it made all the difference in the world (as you can see). Uplights give you a huge payoff for a small amount of money.
I really hope I can inspire some other brides as much as I have been inspired here on Project Wedding. I have so many people to thank here for their advice, support and encouragement. It was the most work I have done for anything in my life but it was worth every ounce of it. I love to help people so please don't hesitate to send me a PM or toast to ask me a question.
We recently moved from Virginia to Atlanta so there really was no post-wedding depression for me. I have plenty of new projects to work on, yay!
I found a passion for weddings while planning my own. I am thinking about doing coordination on the side and/or opening up my own Etsy shop for design.
To all of the new brides: Enjoy every single moment of planning. Time goes by so fast and even faster in the world of wedding planning. Enjoy being a bride and try to laugh through the stress and difficulties. Know that we all went through the roller coaster ride of planning and that you too will get through it and be able to say that the stress was worth it in the end.
Happy Planning! :)
ALL PHOTO CREDIT FOR PRO PICS GOES TO: Innovatory Photography. If you use any of my photos for your inspiration pictures, please credit my photographer and link back to me here! Thank you. :)
Hubby and I were Space Glampires! :)
I did a mockup of the feather CP's in Photoshop. I used this website and the chargers from HolyMolyMatrimony's wedding photos on PW. We found the red chargers on sale for $4.99 for a 4 pack at Target around Thanksgiving and grabbed them from 2 different store locations. I am so excited about these! Serious wow factor acquired.
- Black table linens
- Black napkins
- Red chair covers with black band sashes
- Metallic Red chargers
- White ostrich feather CP's with clear vases and clear aqua beads and white (or red) floralytes
- Buffet menu cards (DIY)
- Votive candles
- Metallic poker confetti or scattered bling ice?
DECOR FOR HEAD TABLE
- Black table linens
- Metallic Red chargers
- Red chair covers with black band sashes
- (Working on the rest of this still)
We are going to have 2 different centerpieces. The tall CP's will be ostrich feather and the short ones... well, we are working on that. We think we are going to do cylinder vases with water beads and floralytes. We have to do a trial and see how that works out.
We did the trial of the short centerpieces and they are *sings* awesome!!! These are so easy to make. Though now we know we need more beads so one pack per container will not do it. When we do this again, we will make sure the beads fill the container 90% full.
- Red aqua beads (expanding gel beads)
- Red LED lights
- Cylinder vase
- Mirror square
We are both musicians so music is super important to us and we are going to be picky about this. We are going to plan our entire playlist for ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner background music, and reception. We have probably half of our music decided but still a lot to go.
Prelude - Prelude music is played prior to the ceremony as guests are being seated. These songs will set the tone for your ceremony. Depending on your timeline, you will typically choose 5-6 songs to be played at this time. (The Knot suggests 45 mins of music before processional.)
- Finale from Water Music - Handel
- Love Story (Theme) - Frances Lai
- Moon River - Mancini
- Love Theme from Godfather
Processional - The Processional begins as the immediate family members are ready to be seated.
Bride entrance -
Jon Schmidt - Love Story Meets Viva La Vida (this totally makes me cry!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfH2BY5pdLw
Interlude - Interlude songs are often used during the ceremony to signify a special moment for the couple. This would be a perfect type of song to play during the lighting of a unity candle.
Vitamin String Quartet: Michael Buble - Can't help falling in love
Recessional - Congratulations, you're married!
We Go Together (Grease) (recently changed from "Everlong" which is super dramatic but not upbeat enough)
Postlude - The Postlude plays at the conclusion of the ceremony, after the recessional. As your guests exit, the postlude music should keep with the upbeat mood.
This Could Be the Start of Something - Jack Jones
Fly Me to the Moon - Sinatra
cocktail hour = 20-25
dinner = 30-40
dancing = 45 or more
COCKTAIL HOUR - The whole cocktail hour will be Rat Pack and music similar. Also I should check out Vitamin String Quartet music for this so we can have modern songs that sound classy. Or it may be all instrumental swing! (note to self: Check grooveshark saved playlist)
- Chicago - Frank Sinatra
- The Way You Make Me Feel - Paul Anka
- Ain't That a Kick in the Head - Dean Martin
- Luck be a Lady - Frank
- Strangers in the Night - Frank
- The Lady is a Tramp - Frank
- Young at Heart - Frank
- Mack the Knife - Frank or Bobby Darin
- It Had to Be You - Harry Connick Jr.
- All I Do Is Dream of You - Dean Martin
- Night and Day - Steve Lawrence
- Volare (Nel Blu, Di Pinto Di Blu) - Dean Martin
- Let's Never Stop Falling in Love - Pink Martini
- Girl From Ipanema – Stan Getz?
- Let’s Fall In Love – Vic Damone (or dinner)
- Sway (Quien Sera) – Dean Martin
- That Ol' Black Magic - Louis Prima
- Amado Mio - Pink Martini
- Come Rain or Shine - Billie Holiday
- Papa Loves Mambo – Perry Como
- Too Marvelous for Words - Ella Fitzgerald
- Sittin' On Top of the World - Dean Martin
- Love Song - Adele
- Don't Worry Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin
DINNER MUSIC - will be pretty much all from the 40's, 50's, and slower music that was special to us while we have been dating for the last 12 years.
1. Steppin' Out with My Baby - Fred Astaire
2. I Put a Spell On You - Nina Simone
3. Bushel & A Peck - Doris Day
4. Swinging on a Star – Bing Crosby
5. Be My Baby - The Ronettes
6. (Today I Met) the Boy I'm Gonna Marry - The Crystals
7. The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson
8. I Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
9. Try a Little Tenderness - Otis Redding
10. I Love You Always Forever – Donna Lewis
11. 1901 - Phoenix
12. Our Day Will Come - Ruby & The Romantics
13. Sweet Disposition - Temper Trap
14. Under the Milky Way - The Church
15. Crush - Dave Matthews Band
16. Trolley Song - Judy Garland
17. Mambo Italiano - Rosemary Clooney
18. Chapel of Love - Dixie Cups
19. Longer - Dan Fogelberg?
20. Cha Cha Cha D'amour - Dean Martin
21. Catch a Falling Star - Perry Como
22. Bella Notte - Disney (Lady & The Tramp)
23. 1,2,3,4 - Plain White T's
24. Sing - Pink Martini
25. What's New Pussycat - Tom Jones
26. Purple People Eater - Sheb Wooley
27. Sleepwalk - Santo & Johnny (Thanks, Callie!)
28. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
29. Love Will Keep Us Together - Captain & Tenille
30. Wrapped Around Your Finger - Sting
31. Fly Me to the Moon - Sinatra
32. The Look of Love – Diana Krall
33. Cupid – Amy Winehouse
34. Unchained Melody – The Righteous Brothers
35. Halo - Beyonce
37. Nobody Does it Better - Carly Simon
38. Little Red Riding Hood - Sam the Sham
39. Spooky - Classics IV
RECEPTION AFTER DINNER
- Bridal party entrance song: See See Rider - Elvis
- Bride & Groom entrance song: Viva Las Vegas - Vince Neil
- Bouquet Toss: Single Ladies - Beyonce
- Garter Removal: Cherry Pie - Warrant (haha!)
- First Dance: That's Amore - Dean Martin
- Wedding Party Dance: Easy Heaven - Commodores VS The Cure
- Last Dance: Ball & Chain (Honky tonk) - Mike Ness
- Cake Cutting song: Candyman - Sammy Davis Jr.
- Dollar Dance:
- L-O-V-E - Nat King Cole
- Easy Heaven - Commodores VS The Cure
The rest of the music is going to make people dance! Lots of upbeat music. Some fun 50's rock n' roll. Some of today's hip hop. Some other music but the styles will be all over the map. That's why we need a DJ. To read the crowd and decide when to play what. This list is a work in progress constantly being updated and tweaked. *The ones with asterisks have been "tested" (this means they sounded really good to us while we were tipsy like most of our guests will be!) and approved by us.
- Time Warp*
- Monster Mash*
- Cha Cha Slide*
- Jump in the Line - Harry Belafonte*
- The Cupid Shuffle*
- Brick House - Commodores*
- Teach Me How to Dougie - Cali Swag District feat. Sean Kingston & B.O.B.*
- No One Lives Forever - Oingo Boingo*
- Beyond the Sea - Bobby Darin*
- Earth Angel - Marvin Berry and The Starlighters*
- Let the Music Play - Shannon*
- You're The One That I Want (Grease)*
- Hot Hot Hot - Buster Poindexter*
- Don't Stop Til You Get Enough - MJ*
- Crazy in Love - Beyonce*
- I know You Want Me - Pitbull*
- Mambo #5 - Lou Bega*
- The Way You Look Tonight - Frankie*
- Bust A Move - Young MC*
- Forever - Chris Brown*
- DJ Got Us Falling In Love – Usher*
- Just Dance - Lady Gaga*
- Just the Way You Are - Bruno Mars*
- Club Can't Handle Me - Flo Rida feat. David Guetta*
- Take if Off - Ke$ha*
- O.M.G. - Usher feat will.i.am*
- Poker Face (Glam As You radio mix) - Lady Gaga*
- Fight for Your Right - Beastie Boys*
- Baby Got Back - Sir Mix-a-Lot*
- Poison - Bel Biv Davoe*
- Love My Way - Psychadelic Furs*
- Baby I Love Your Way - Big Mountain*
- I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas*
- Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas*
- Say Hey! - Michael Franti*
- Groove is in the Heart - Deee-Lite*
- Jungle Love - The Time*
- Sexyback - Justin Timberlake*
- White Wedding - Billy Idol*
- Prince - 1999 (the year we got together!) :)*
- Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonight*
- London Bridge (Radio Oh snap edit) - Fergie*
- Low - Flo Rida*
- Sea of Love - Honeydrippers*
- Vogue - Madonna*
- Rock This Town - Stray Cats
- True - Spandau Ballet*
- Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran*
- She Blinded Me with Science - Thomas Dolby*
- Cherish (Single Version) - The Association*
- Photograph - Def Leppard*
- Car Wash - Rose Royce*
- Super Freak - Rick James*
- Just Like Heaven - The Cure*
- We Are Family - Sister Sledge*
- Love Song - The Cure*
- Here With Me - Dido & Moby version*
- Milkshake - Kelis*
- Atomic Dog – George Clinton*
- Feedback - Janet Jackson*
- Kiss - Prince*
- My Sharona - The Knack*
- Show Me Love - Robin S.*
- Don't Stop the Music - Rihanna*
- Work It - Missy E*
- 4 Minutes - Madonna (feat. Timberlake & Timbaland)*
- Zoot Suit Riot - Cherry Poppin' Daddies*
- Fly to the Angels, Up All Night - Slaughter
- September - Earth Wind and Fire*
- The Tide Is High - Blondie*
- Thriller - MJ*
- Like a G6 - Far East Movement*
- Jump - Kris Kross*
- Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison*
- Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes*
- Get Your Freak On - Missy E*
- Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You - Frankie Valli & The 4 Seasons*
- Rock 'n Roll is Here To Stay - Sha Na Na*
After cake cutting, we go into club mode:
- This is Halloween (NBC)
- She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult
- Under Pressure - Queen w/ David Bowie
- Unicorn (video version) - Apoptygma Berzerk
- Strict Machine - Goldfrapp?
- Come Undone - Duran Duran
- Underworld - Born Slippy
- Shots - LMFAO
- Spin Spin Sugar (Armand's Dark Garage Mix) - Sneaker Pimps
- Confusion (edited Pump Panel Construction Mix) - New Order
- Release It - Hate Dept
- Dead Stars (Club Version) - Covenant
- Chrome - VNV Nation
- Every Day is Halloween - Ministry?
- Join in the Chant - Nitzer Ebb
- Soil & Eclipse - Whispering Trees
- Beers Steers & Queers - Revolting Cocks
- Corporate Slave - Snog
- #1 Crush - Garbage?
- Hallucination Generation - Gruesome Twosome
- Mindphazer - Front Line Assembly
- 1000 Homo DJ's - Supernaut!
- Machines of Loving Grace - Butterfly Wings
- CruxShadows - Monsters
- Die Form - Rain of Blood
- Clan of Xymox - Jasmine and Rose?
- Timekiller - And One
- Days of the Phoenix - AFI?
- Home or Behind the Wheel - Depeche Mode
I love my ivory Galina dress but I can't wait to get it altered so that it fits. It's too big! It's so much prettier in person. I can't wait to post a pic of me at the fitting. I bought this on major sale and it was the first thing I bought for the wedding, about 3 weeks after the proposal. The jeweled blingy neckline is my favorite part about this.
I scored finding these Luichiny shoes for 45% off on overstock.com for $40!!! So I pounced on them. :D
My first wedding stress came early because of these shoes. I found them for a steal at Overstock.com ($40!) and ordered them. But UPS screwed me and got my address mixed up with a dog salon (yes, really) down the street. They left the wrong infonotice on our door. UPS ended up returning my shoes (even though we showed up at UPS within enough time) and I freaked out when I discovered this as those were the only pair in that size
and I had snagged them.
But FI is amazing and watched Overstock's website like a hawk, re-ordered them, and had them shipped to his office. So they are now mine!!!
Here they are in my possession finally after the UPS debacle. They are perfect!!!!
And I got these for the reception (this is not me):
Whew! Within one week, I focused obsessively on finding the rest of my accessories. This was possibly the most stressful part of planning thus far. Who doesn't want to look like a million bucks on their wedding day?
I had a bit of an identity crisis while deciding my wedding day look. I don't want to look like a traditional bride so I was thinking about non-white accessories. But you only get to be a bride once in your life and wear white. So with the assurance from my amazing fiance that I couldn't look traditional no matter how much white I wore, I decided on fairly traditional accessories. My luck paid off for me because I found pieces I am in love with.
My bracelet found on Etsy at http://www.etsy.com/shop/designbypris I got it for $25! I love this.
Earrings: These are classic Hollywood Glam which has a strong overlap into Old Vegas Glam. I love the feeling these invoke. $35 from Etsy at http://www.etsy.com/shop/nyjolejewellery
This is the sweet note she sent to me with it:
My $8 garter from Etsy shop hellodesigncrew: