Nov 18, 2012

  • Last updated on January 13, 2011 at 6:33 am
  • |
  • 1 Comment

We are two twenty something’s from Southern California. He's a city boy born and raised in South Los Angeles and I’m a girl from the suburbs. We first met in the fall of 2007 at my first program as a Resident Advisor in the dorms at Cal State University, Fullerton. Over the course of a year we had a couple casual encounters but it wasn't untill we returned to school that next fall when sparks started to fly between us.

It was fall 2008 and we were moving back into the dorms but this time Victor was a resident on my floor. We became really close that first semester. In November he took an open position on staff and we began to get even closer once we started working together. As soon as he started our flirting and attraction got more and more noticeable to our friends and co-workers. Then out of nowhere his Grandfather who had basically raised him, passed away. He was devastated. Having just lost my own grandfather about a year before, I could understand his pain. I did my best to comfort him and make his transition back to work and school as easy as possible.

Soon the pain started to subside a little and life became as normal as it could get. We began to get even closer, but I was strong in the fact that I didn't date co-workers. His charm eventually won me over and  on March 28, 2009 we made it official and started dating. At first we tired to keep it quiet so our bosses didn't find out but that didn't last long.

We spent the next 2 and a half months spending as much time together as possible. I was leaving to study abroad and we knew that we would only have letters and the occasional web chat to communicate for three months. As I traveled through Europe and North Africa on Semester at Sea, from June 14- August 22 we shared 9 letters and thousands of e-mails. With only written word to communicate our relationship moved serious quickly and before we knew it we were talking about our future together.

After disembarking from the MV Explorer I began a nearly two day journey home and after layovers, hurricanes, tears, and a cold night in the Atlanta airport I was finally back in California. I didn't expect him to make it to the airport to pick me up but as I came down the escalator he was there with roses in hand. All I could do was cry. As soon as he held me and said I love you I was home again.

Over the next few months we finally had a chance to experience our love in person. By October we started talking about getting engaged and starting our life together. We even went to try on rings and look around but nothing too serious. As we were getting ready to go away on a cruise with my family for Thanksgiving Victor asked me to go with him on a surprise date. It was November 18th 2009 and I had no clue what was going on. He blindfolded me and drove me around in his car for about an hour. Eventually we got out and walked for a while. ( I was still blind folded) When he took my blindfold off and we were standing in front of one of our favorite art exhibits, Urban Lights at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. With loving words and a smile he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I was, for the first and last time in my life , speechless. Eventually caught my breath and said yes!!! As if I wasn’t shocked enough I turned to find  that all of our friends had been hiding and watching the whole time. It was a priceless moment and I will always remember that moment beneath the glow of the street lights.

Now here we are engaged and planning a winter wedding set for 3 years to the day that asked me to marry him.