DANK Haus German American Cultural Center
Love the DANK Haus! We had our reception in the Skyline Lounge. It was beautiful, Nichole and Charlie (our day-of helper/maintenance guy) were really friendly and accommodating. Our only complaint was that the house sound system wasn't great. We used our ipod, but if you have your own amps, you should be fine. We saved a lot of money stocking our own bar, and a bartender is included in the cost of the room.
Beautiful, historic, off the beaten path, Chicago venue. We loved this room. It was the first one we looked at when searching, and we knew at that moment it was the one for us. We loved having the flexibility to bring in our own vendors, and stock our own bar. Everything about the DANK was impressive. Our guests were shocked to find such an amazing ballroom hidden away on Western Ave. I highly recommend the DANK - supports a great community group as well!
We had our ceremony on the terrace and our reception in the Skyline Lounge. The entire experience was fantastic! We were really on a budget and the Dank Haus fit our bill perfectly. Their rates are ridiculously reasonable and we were able to DIY pretty much everything we wanted. They had no preferred vendor list, which we definitely appreciated. The space was perfect for us!
Getting there was the easiest it could be for our guests - very easy to drive (your guests have access to a huge parking lot right across Lawrence) or take the Brown line to Western. Everyone raved over the amazing skyline view - you're not going to get such a gorgeous view for such a bargain anywhere else.
A couple of tips:
1) It's an OLD but very nice and well-maintained building. We had a bit of a problem running our crazy dance-party music AND the hot-dog steamer AND waffle machine (both of those were late-night snacks so no one really cared when we couldn't do all three at once. We ended up opting for the music and our kitchen guys figured out another way to heat up and serve the hot dogs.
2) This is not a wedding place. There's not a lot of hand-holding, but if you know what you want to do, it's great.
3) They only get 4/5 stars for Responsiveness because it took me a while to figure out the only way to reliably get in touch with the woman behind the scenes (Nicholle - she's awesome!) is to email her on Wednesdays.
4) If you pick your dates right, you can get in all day on Friday to set the room up, great for you DIYers!
5) If you use the Skyline Room and have more than ~60 guests, I would recommend asking for another bartender. We had close to 100 guests and 1 tender was not enough. He was free with the room, though!
Located in Lincoln Square. a block from the Western Brown line station, the Dank Haus is a hidden gem. The rooms are gorgeous with little need for additional decorating. Everyone is super accommodating and were wonderful to work with. We rented both the Skyline Lounge and the Terrace on the 6th floor for an outside ceremony with a view of the Chicago skyline and the reception inside. They do offer a larger Ballroom that seats 250 people on the 5th floor. Bartender & non-uniformed security are including with the rental.