Doubletree Chicago Magnificent Mile
The Doubletree and our coordinator Slavyana did an amazing job on our wedding. They were very accomodating and there to make sure all of our dreams came true! I was set on modern downtown chicago wedding without spending an astronomical amount of money and the Doubletree was the BEST choice for us. The cocktail hour on the 5th floor pool deck was super unique, we got rave reviews from guests on the food, and the ballroom was beautiful! There is only one ballroom so you don't have to share your wedding day with another couple. I even had my original catering manager leave her position 3 months before my wedding and the new manager, Slavyana, did EVERYTHING to make me feel comfortable and taken care of with lots of attention to detail. I docked half a star for service not for the event itself but for the hotel reservations desk. They were very slow, did not seem to know alot that was going on, and our discounted parking was very messed up. Also the elevators stopped working the morning after so everyone had to take the stairs down 20+ floors. We used this venue for our reception and guest accomodations.
My experience at the DoubleTree was great. We did book our big day over 1.5 years ahead in order to have our holiday-weekend wedding. Because we booked so early, we were also able to haggle down the price of tax (which in the city is pricey!) I originally started with a different wedding planner who was very nice and helpful, but then she moved about 3 months prior to the event. The newest coordinator was very helpful and helped us make everything perfect. The space we used for the reception was large and had its own cocktail hour space. The linens, chair ties and small details for the tables were great. The food was absolutely outstanding and tasted just like our tasting which I heard is usually not the case. Our guests also enjoyed the cocktail hour treats :) Because I was not a huge fan of cake we did get a sweets table and it included a chocolate fountain which was a big hit. My only complaint is that because of the switching of the coordinators, our payment schedule got a little goofy toward the end which ended in an accounting error. They fixed it and were very professional but just make sure you're on top of it! Also, DIY brides, they were very helpful with storing our non-floral decorations and let some of my family members help decorate. The staff was very nice and made sure to check on every guest. As far as the hotel, this is where we did get ready. The bridal suite is nice and big-- we were able to have everyone get their hair, make up and nails done comfortably. Overall, if I were planning again, I would not choose anywhere different than the DoubleTree.
DO NOT book your wedding at this venue. Of all of the vendors I anticipated problems with when I booked my wedding, this would have been my last choice, and was by far the worst to have to deal with. Initially booking under the excellent wedding coordinator of Rebecca Kuzelka, we were unaware that she would be abruptly let go a few weeks later. Which the hotel did not contact me about, rather I found out through a returned email that I sent to Rebecca. She was then replaced with the existing events planner who quit a few months later, the Doubletree once again never letting me know of the change, rather I found through a phone call to the Doubletree where they told me she was no longer there. Finally they hired a new wedding coordinator, Brooke Bosak. She did a nice job picking up where the others had left off, however her assistance in the back-office proved to be poor which is why I am writing a negative review.
These are the reasons we were dissatisifed with their service:
- The final bill was incorrect, not taking into account the down payment we had made on the venue (which was a large percentage of the total cost) and incorrect service rates were used, that we did not sign on in the original contract.
- In the final set-up (which I received a few days before the wedding because the "system was down") they had the wrong set-up (rounds of 8 instead of rounds of 10 which I had gone over with all three coordinators). This would have been a disaster if I wouldn't have caught it because we had assigned seating at the wedding.
- We went on our honeymoon immediately after the wedding. I returned from my honeymoon to the incorrect amount being charged to my credit card for the reception with the old service rates (which I had fixed before the wedding) but had been changed back and charged to my credit card without my approval.
- Was charged $1,000 worth of room damage to our hotel suite which was absurd. When I asked the hotel to provide reasons for this damage they provided pictures of three pathetic scratches which looked like normal wear-and-tear and could have been rubbed out with polish. One of the tables they sent a picture of with a scratch on it was never even used by us during our stay. Also provided a picture of a hanging light the photographer had moved during pictures that was somehow shattered in the picture (but was not on our departure). I accepted responsibility for that because the photographer had moved it, that was worth maximum $20. All of the bridesmaids (which included 6 adult women) who I told about these charges and had been in the room that day were disgusted with the Doubletree for this. I was able to get them to take off $500 after complaing and then another $50 when I reminded them that they shattered one of my champagne glasses at dinner. I was acutally going to let that go, but not after this!
- The night before the wedding I went to my maid of honor's room to share a bottle of wine before the big day. We called down for a bottle opener and it took an hour and a half for them to bring it.
If you don't want to deal with a headache, then don't book your wedding here.