Most Popular First Dance Songs
Should you go with 'Unforgettable' or a little Elvis? Rock on and read on for our musical suggestions! (expert advice)
You've said ‘I do' and all your guests are waiting for the sweet and tender moment when the newlyweds share their first dance. The song should fit the mood perfectly and must reflect your feelings for one another. But there are thousands of great first dance songs - do you want a popular classic tune? Do your future husband's two left feet require something simple and easy to dance to?
Most Popular Classics
If you're not sure what to choose, consider choosing one of the most popular first dance songs - these classics have been favorites with new couples for decades so you can't go wrong!
The Top 10 Classic First Dance Songs:
- Unforgettable by Nat King Cole
- The Way You Look Tonight by Frank Sinatra
- What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong
- Can't Help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley
- At Last by Etta James
- It had to be You by Harry Connick Jr.
- A Kiss is Just a Kiss by Michael Feinstein
- Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers
- A Whole New World by Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle
- Endless Love by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie
You may want to stick with a popular song for your first dance, but prefer something a little more modern. A few choices include:
- All my Life by K-Ci and JoJo
- Could not Ask for More by Edwin McCain
- It's Your Love by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill
- I Swear by All 4 One (also by John Montgomery)
- This I Swear by Nick Lachey
Less Played First Dance Songs
Maybe you're looking for something a little different for your first dance? Love songs are everywhere - movies, musicals, or the radio are great sources of inspiration! Or consider these less played, but still popular options:
- Songbird by Fleetwood Mac
- Beautiful by Gordon Lightfoot
- So This is Love by James Ingram
- Nothing's Gonna Change my Love for You by Glenn Medeiros
- Romeo & Juliet Love Theme composed by Tchaikovsky
Something Different, Something New
Not every couple fits the traditional, classic bride and groom mold. There's nothing wrong with straying from the norm and being a bit original in the selection of your first dance song! I would suggest any of these contemporary and often overlooked, tunes:
- Too Good to be True by Lauryn Hill - a soulful remake of a Frankie Valli classic.
- Luna by The Smashing Pumpkins
- I Will Always Love You by The Cure
- Forever in my Life by Prince
The first dance the two of you share as husband and wife is a very special moment and quite endearing to your guests as well. Take the time to really think about the song you will use before the wedding and talk about it with your fiancé. Whether you choose something different or decide to stick with tradition and sway to a popular first dance song, be sure to practice before the rehearsal or even squeeze in a few dance lessons!